.270 berger classic hunter vs vld

Buddro

In the 140 grain .270 bullet berger offers a classic hunter design as well as a vld. what gets me is that the classic hunter has a higher b.c. than the vld. .271 vs .258 respectively. so if the classic hunter has a higher bc, why did they release the vld? Is there a significant difference between jackets in the two? the base to ogive is about .06 longer on the vld, did they want more flexibility in seating depth? I am about to send a cartridge in loaded with the classic design to have a custom reamer made, I want to make sure I am not missing anything before I commit to the set up.

Are you shooting targets/steel or game? The kool aid is getting served in bigger and bigger glasses.

I have to question why you would want a reamer made for a custom chamber unless it was a match rifle and you knew every lot of bullets would be the same. The way new bullets are being released daily I would hate to have a rifle tied to one bullet design.

I have to question why you would want a reamer made for a custom chamber unless it was a match rifle and you knew every lot of bullets would be the same. The way new bullets are being released daily I would hate to have a rifle tied to one bullet design.

I am doing it because I can. I actually plan to use drt bullets in this gun. I am just not prepared to get married to those never having used them before. The 140 classic hunter is not such an extreme design that it will preclude me from using several other bullet designs in the same mag box, I have already done the math to be sure. The heavies wont function but I dont want to shoot those anyhow.

I plan to use this gun as a learning tool, also for lot of recreational shooting and reloading so it will be built to match standards, my dies will be custom cut with the same reamers as the chamber ect ect. At some point in the not distant future I may build a match rifle and start competing so I want to start learning now. In the mean time I'll get a lot of kicks out of dialing this gun.

jud, I've pretty much landed on the same thought process as you right now. I just figured I would see if anyone knows anything I dont. I may just call berger and ask the guys who know.

Difference I have found is the seating depth sensitivity. Classic aren't sensitive and VLDS are very sensitive. Classics are designed to operate in SAMMI COAL. I feel classic are a little more frangible than the VLDS too. Both have shot and killed great for me in 6.5's

You beat me to it. Not something I would ever do!. Companies also go broke at the speed of sound and discontinue product lines all the time.....big risk.

Berger isn't going out of business anytime soon. :rolleyes: Also, there's more than one other .270cal bullet that would work with his custom chamber. It may not be perfect for other similar bullets, but it will work. Let the man do what he wants. If he buys 500-1000 bullets from the same lot, that's a lot of shooting for him to do without messing with anything once he has a load established.

All I know is that my Tikka T3 in 300WSM is very easy to reload for, with the VLD. It sounds like folks are getting very accurate results with the classic hunter but I have yet to find a node when using them.

The throat of this gun will be optimized for shooting this bullet at this seating depth. that does not mean that it wont shoot other designs, it just means that it should allow the highest possible powder capacity with this bullet in this gun while having a jump that helps the bullet to perform. any bullet with an equivalent or shorter meoplat to ogive can be loaded in this set up. the list of bullets that fit that description is long. like I said I have already verified that the drt bullets I have already bought for this gun will also fit the chamber. in fact I hope to use them more than the vlds.

it's interesting that a few people seem concerned with custom throat length being a commitment to this one bullet and yet all over this sight people are ordering reamers specific to shooting 170 grain eols loaded so far out they have to be built on long actions. those set ups really are getting married to 1 bullet design. ok maybe like 2 or 3 manufactures make bullets that are long and heavy enough to fit the bill but very few. In none of those threads have I noticed concerns with being married to just the 1 design.

Berger isnt going anywhere any time soon, not at all worried about that. as far as lines being discontinued yeah that makes me a little nervous, which is why I went fishing on here to see if anyone knew anything. however if berger decides to cut one of their 140 grain .270 lines why would they cut the one that has a higher bc and an ogive that is friendlier to otc rifles? plus if the drt bullets dont shoot I'll probably just make a bull order of the vld classics

The throat of this gun will be optimized for shooting this bullet at this seating depth. that does not mean that it wont shoot other designs, it just means that it should allow the highest possible powder capacity with this bullet in this gun while having a jump that helps the bullet to perform. any bullet with an equivalent or shorter meoplat to ogive can be loaded in this set up. the list of bullets that fit that description is long. like I said I have already verified that the drt bullets I have already bought for this gun will also fit the chamber. in fact I hope to use them more than the vlds.

it's interesting that a few people seem concerned with custom throat length being a commitment to this one bullet and yet all over this sight people are ordering reamers specific to shooting 170 grain eols loaded so far out they have to be built on long actions. those set ups really are getting married to 1 bullet design. ok maybe like 2 or 3 manufactures make bullets that are long and heavy enough to fit the bill but very few. In none of those threads have I noticed concerns with being married to just the 1 design.

Berger isnt going anywhere any time soon, not at all worried about that. as far as lines being discontinued yeah that makes me a little nervous, which is why I went fishing on here to see if anyone knew anything. however if berger decides to cut one of their 140 grain .270 lines why would they cut the one that has a higher bc and an ogive that is friendlier to otc rifles? plus if the drt bullets dont shoot I'll probably just make a bull order of the vld classics

What cartridge are you using? It looks like a short action?

Anyways...I have a 270Wby with a stock chamber, 1-9 Benchmark barrel. Freebore is .376". I can load to any COAL that I want. No accuracy issues...get as much freebore that you can stand, so you are not limited to one bullet. Look at the limiting issue of the longest COAL of your magazine. Then go from there...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.