Berger Vld 168G at short distances

Dannyd

I have just received my first box of Berger bullets
I have worked up a fairly accurate load (for me) in my 7mmRM with a 168g Berger VLD at 2805 FPS. Not fast but it was the most accurate load so far.

I understand this to be a long range bullet but how will it perform on whitetail deer at under 100yards?

What if i wind up haveing a more accurate load at say 2900fps? any issue on whitetail at that speed uder 100yards?

Thanks,
Dan

I use them in my 7mm mag at 3087 fps. The closest I have used them is a feral goat at 240 (?) yds. Bullet was in the ribcage low and behind the front leg, bullet exited ok, heart very damaged.
Impact velocity would have been 2726 fps.
With your starting load of 2805 you will be at this velocity about 55 -60 yds away.
The bullet will get into the chest ok, may or may not exit depending on exact spot ie did you hit the front leg/shoulder etc. On a ribcage shot I would expect no problems.

I set my 7mm mag up to use 160 accubond inside of 300 yds and the berger past 300 yds. I zero with the berger and then see where the accubond hits. I am lucky that the 100 yd zeros are the same.

Stu

Kiwi has shot a lot of stuff and has sound advice. I personally wouldn't worry too much about deer sized game at any distance but be aware, as Kiwi said, the bullet will definitely blow at high velocity so take that into consideration. On an elk sized animal, I would give a different answer as far as close range is concerned. Normally a deer shot with a Berger anywhere in the shoulder/chest area goes down fast......Rich

Kiwi, (or anyone else)

With this bullet would you recommend that i not search for more speed. Leave it at 2805 or less for 100yds or less shots for best results?

Depending on what you hit, the bullets will likely come apart in the low 2000's range. The fact that you start them at 2800 or 2900 will make no significant difference. I would shoot what is most accurate in your rifle......Rich

My personal opinion is that the Berger is a long range bullet. It is built for high BC and to open easily when the velocity has dropped right down. Start it as fast as you can so that you can reach out as far as possible. The Berger should open up out to 1800 fps, at 3000 fps muzzle velocity you will getting out to 900 -1000 yds.

These are not the attributes needed for a close range shot. If you are shooting things up close(less than 100yds) save your money and use a bullet like Hornady SST, Sierra gameking or similar. They will give just as much performance.

If you are dead set on the Berger and won't be shooting them at long range then yes stick with your current velocity.

Stu.

I recently shot a hog with my 7wsm. 168gr Berger at 2980 fps. Impressive impact. The bullet entered high in the shoulder in front of the shoulder blade and broke two ribs going in, it completely liquified his lungs and heart. It didn't exit the chest cavity. The hog was around 250 lbs and it picked him completely off his feet and slammed him into a creek bed.
I agree with kiwi and normally shoot 140 gr accubond close range but wanted to see the performance of the Bergers. If you shoot a whitetail at close range I would use the accubond in either 140 or 160 versions. I have shot several whitetails with the 140 accubond and have been very happy with them. They don't destroy much meat and the deer usually goes around 20 yards with a huge blood trail. Bergers are great for the long range work but I would use more of a traditional hunting bullet when you don't need the high bc and accuracy of the Berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.