Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

I shot an antelope with the 168 7mm target bullets several years ago at 456 yards. The results were devestating. No exit wound but the internal damage was tremendous, the chest cavity was complete jelly. DRT.

My Dad has shot a couple antelope with the 6.5 140 grain target bullets, both DRT. Both had exit wounds in the 1.5" range.

Do you guys think that the target bullets might open up a little more controlled than the hunting version. Maybe a tougher bullet???? From reading the last post it sounded like they still opened up good and penetrated all the way through where as the hunting blew up inside.

i am useing 77grains of RL22 and he is useing IMR 7828 but im not exactly sure how much. My barrel is whatever comes on a weatherby mk V 26" and his is a 30" but not sure of the maker.

Thanks for the info i will have to give it a try. Been sticking to the Hogdon powders due to hearing less suseptable to temp changes for hunting purposes. I need to try some RL 22 for sure..thxn

Thanks for the info i will have to give it a try. Been sticking to the Hogdon powders due to hearing less suseptable to temp changes for hunting purposes. I need to try some RL 22 for sure..thxn

i have herd that the RL powders are suseptable to temp changes but not sure about it because it was every bit of 85-90 degrees when i sighted it in and when i shot my doe at 580 yards this year it was about 30-35 and hit exactly where i was aiming so:rolleyes:..........i dont know

If my memory serves me well... which I think it does :).... the meplat of the target bullets is the same thickness as the hunting bullets, and gradually thickens as it gets to the bearing surface of the bullet.

The minimum advertised expanding velocity for the Berger hunting bullets is 1800 fps, which is the same for many other hunting bullets. Ballistic tips are 1600 fps, as well as most GS HV's.

There might be some potential to sight in with the hunting bullets at use for ranges over 500 yds. and use the the target variety with the same zero at under 500. Interesting:D....Rich

There might be some potential to sight in with the hunting bullets at use for ranges over 500 yds. and use the the target variety with the same zero at under 500. Interesting:D....Rich

That may be, but I'm guessing the target bullets open and expand at same (or very close) velocity as the hunting bullets. My hunch is that the target bullets are just as good a "hunting" bullet as the original J4 jacket bullets. My guess is at higher velocities, they will be very similar in performance (explosive) and at lower velocites the target bullets will probably hold together a little better.

Just guessing :)

That may be, but I'm guessing the target bullets open and expand at same (or very close) velocity as the hunting bullets. My hunch is that the target bullets are just as good a "hunting" bullet as the original J4 jacket bullets. My guess is at higher velocities, they will be very similar in performance (explosive) and at lower velocites the target bullets will probably hold together a little better.

Just guessing :)

I would agree with the targets holding together better at lower velocities which would be a plus close up but not so good at long range i.e. (whatever that range is when the velocity is too slow to open) I would think that the reverse would also be true (they wouldn't be quite as apt to come apart at close range) I'm just guessing as well, but it makes perfect sense with the thicker jacket. Maybe I'll do some more bullet testing:D..Rich

I know that my experience is far less than a lot of people here, but with the cartridges that seem to blow up Berger's, the advice usually given is to go to Sierra SMK's.
With the 3 or 4 wildcats that I load for the SMK's hold up when others won't, and there has been a LOT of game killed very effectively with them,(SMK'S) so I would have to assume that even the Thick Berger's should be very lethal.
Dave

My focus on the 115 gr .257 Berger Target VLD is due to their G1 BC of 0.466 versus the Sierra G1 BC of 0.410. If the Berger Target VLDs will survive my launch velocity, provide good accuracy, and expand on game, they may be my best option - given that I have a 10-twist barrel. I appreciate all the feedback on the Target VLD experiences. They sound like a viable option and I'm encouraged.

I did receive feedback from one member who has had more than one incident where the Target VLDs penciled through deer-sized game when no bone was hit with his 25-06. When the bullets struck bone, the bullets always expanded - no problems.

I have one box of 130 gr .257 WildCat RBBTs to test out, but I'm doubtful they'll stabilize in my 10-twist barrel. I just received three boxes of the .257 Berger Target VLDs. So they're now on the agenda for range testing for high MV survivability and accuracy.

If you REALLY want to expand at low velocity, use the A-max. I wouldn't use it up too close though:D.....Rich

And just how slow? :D Just stay within mach one and it'll expand???

Berger datas and recommendations are pretty conservative compared to what many other folks do with VLDs. Shooting it faster and use minimum impact velocity as slow as 1400fps.

Berger datas and recommendations are pretty conservative compared to what many other folks do with VLDs. Shooting it faster and use minimum impact velocity as slow as 1400fps.

As mentioned, a lot has to do with what the bullet hits on the way in. Hitting bone will tend to start expansion and deformation. Hitting only hide and flesh may result in an unexpanded bullet at lower velocites.

As mentioned, a lot has to do with what the bullet hits on the way in. Hitting bone will tend to start expansion and deformation. Hitting only hide and flesh may result in an unexpanded bullet at lower velocites.

You're right, besides arron davidson from Best Of The West tested minimum impact velocity on gel boxes (acts like hide/flesh). Some VLD didn't open up under 1800fps. This info used to exist on the original forums from BOTW, the website was renewed and did everything they can (with great effort) to save the old forum but were unable to do so.(That I know up-to-date)

Re: .257 Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

A pertinent update to this thread. Berger's marketing department recently told another Forum member that their 115 gr .257 caliber Hunting and Target VLDs are the same exact bullet. This is evidently not the case in their other calibers, but for some reason or another, this 115 gr Berger .257 bullet only comes in one flavor. Which makes me wonder, is the 115 gr .257 bullet manufactured with the hunting version jacket or the target version jacket?

Here's a link to this member's Post:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-vld-vs-berger-match-hunting-vld-39861/index5.html

And here's the reply he says he received from Berger's marketing department:

"In regards to all of our other Target and Hunting bullets the Target bullets have a thicker jacket to withstand rougher conditions. However, the only bullet in the entire Berger line that is exactly the same in every way in both the Target and Hunting version is the 25 cal 115 gr VLD. There are no differences in these two bullets. We simply designate each one for their particular lines to help shooters use choose bullets for their disciplines. Please let me know if you need anything further. Have a great day!"

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.