270cal 150grain Berger Hunting VLDs

dwm

So my go to 270WIN load used to be the 140gr Nosler Accubonds and while they would group really well and did the job as advertised, animals tended to run further than I like to track them. So I switched to 140 Berger Hunting VLDs. I have had great success with the 140 VLDS and am now wondering if I am giving anything up by not shooting the 150 Berger Hunting VLDs.

Anyone shooting the 150s out of a 270WIN? What kind of velocities are you getting?

Personally.... I go by the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
What would you wish to gain by switching something up?
Distance? Impact? Game change (Animal, Region,etc)
Honestly, a 270 Win with a 140 is good enough for anything in NA within reasonably average hunting conditions.... short of a BIG bull Moose, or larger Bear species...

I was in the same boat you were in. I was shooting 140 Accubonds with good success and accuracy. Just for the heck of it I decided to try the 150 Berger's. It took nine shoots using the Nosler load and seating info to get it shooting .25 moa. At 500 it shoots 2.5 inch groups. Maybe a little better than the Accubonds. Deer at 200 are bang flop. I have not had a chance to take game any farther out. Would love to try it long range on a big hog.

My hunting combo for the last two years has been a .270 Winchester with the 150gr. Berger VLD. I have not had anything take more than a step or two. Most of the time the impact is pretty dramatic. I have taken seven white tail, one mule deer, one elk, four antelope and several canines. My load has been 57.5 grains H-4831, CCI-BR2 primer, Nosler brass, and HBN coated Berger bullets. My barrel was a 26" Shilen and printed a consistent 3/4 MOA with this load. The really cool thing is how close the Applied Ballistic app predicts trajectory/wind for this bullet even at some ridiculous ranges.

I have not tried any of the other weight Bergers in the .270.
Thanks,
John

I left out one step and the reason I went Berger. Nosler came out with the Long Range Accubond (high bc). I bought a box because of the high bc and began load work up. During which I read they fudged on the bc. Got a little ticked. So I bought the Berger's for the higher bc. Good to go so far.

So my go to 270WIN load used to be the 140gr Nosler Accubonds and while they would group really well and did the job as advertised, animals tended to run further than I like to track them. So I switched to 140 Berger Hunting VLDs. I have had great success with the 140 VLDS and am now wondering if I am giving anything up by not shooting the 150 Berger Hunting VLDs.

Anyone shooting the 150s out of a 270WIN? What kind of velocities are you getting?

The last 270 win barrel I had liked 150 vld or 150 NBT over IMR 7828ssc.
Precision was good for a 270win.

My velocity with that load was right at 3000 fps with 24" barrel.
HOWEVER, this barrel had a looong throat due to throat erosion, thus my bullets were seated much further out.
I wouldn't expect to see 3000 fps with 150s with a new factory short throated 24" barrel.

I would suggest IMR 7828 with 150s regardless.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.