Berger .257 VLDs @ 3850fps?

Pdvdh

Anyone shot any 115 gr .257 VLDs at these muzzle velocities? Are these bullets apt to survive these launch velocities?

My first trip to the range with a 25 RUM yesterday. I fired 11 rounds from 3420 up to 3850 fps, in one grain increasing powder increments. One of the higher velocity shots never impacted the 300 yd target. And one of the 10 that did seemed like a flier (too far from the general group), even though it produced a round hole. The rest of the bullets were within about a 2 inch group.

I'll shoot some more and expect I'll figure this out. But if anyone else has experience with the .257 VLDs at these muzzle velocities, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Phorwath, I thought I was the only one silly enough to build a barrel burner like this... :D I can't help ya much, but I built a 25-300 Weatherby with a 28" Shilen. I worked up some quick loads for deer season and this is all the data I have right now.

Weatherby case
Fed 215 GM
81.5 gr of Retumbo
Berger 115 VLD
average velocity 3700
accuracy at 300 under 1 moa.

Also have this.

same as above with

80 gr of Retumbo and a 110 accubond @ 3720 and a few started to show pressure. This load was not as accurate.

Let me know how you make out as I need to do more work with mine. I am not impressed so far. I could get close to these velocities with a standard .257 Weatherby. :rolleyes:

If you have a rifle chambered like this ........ Well that explains you opinion on rangefinders...:D:D

Just kidding!

Jeff

Last edited:
Phorwath, I thought I was the only one silly enough to build a barrel burner like this... :D

If you have a rifle chambered like this ........ Well that explains you opinion on rangefinders...:D:D

Just kidding!

Jeff

Jeff,
Was that first load @3700 fps with 115 Berger VLDs?

As far as the rangefinders... Ha! :) You'll see the light on these after you complete your field comparison.

Paul

Jeff,
Was that first load @3700 fps with 115 Berger VLDs?

As far as the rangefinders... Ha! :) You'll see the light on these after you complete your field comparison.

Paul

Yes, Crap, I left the bullet info out of that one. I have shot about 30 rounds with 115 VLD's from it. Highest velocity was 3760 with a bit more retumbo and was at too hot. I am going to try other powders. That darn retumbo gets hot quick. H-1000 was too slow.

I just looked through all my .257 Weatherby loads and 7828 shot good and so did H-4350. But none at higher velocity than first stated.

I have the rangefinder thing coming together. As soon as my Swar gets back for Austia. But I have to tell ya, I have been in the field before with two different CRF 1200's and three different Swaro Lazerguides but never recorded data. But that is another thread at a different time.

Back to the High velocity 1/4 bore with 115 VLD's. Here is a pic of my 25-300 Weatherby.

DSC00577Large.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.