Berger seating depth test

7mmSendaro

I finally got around to testing ther 140 VLD Hunting bullets in my 260 today. I used Eric Steckler's seating depth test for the first time and was impressed with what it revealed. I did add an additional 6 rounds loaded at zero jump. The .130 jump was shot on another sheet but was not impressive. Other than the one thrown shot (my fault) at the .090 jump, all depths shot reasonably well but the .090 and .010 were virtually identical and superior to the others. I have loaded 5 more of each of those seating depths for further testing and chronographing.

Attachments

• 140 vld target.jpg
    140 vld target.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 167
Thanks for posting this. I have been working with some bullets and have a number of groups that look just like the .050 group. I had completely overlooked doing a proper test to get the best seating depth.

I'll second seating depth on the bergers, I finally had a chance to shoot some this morning, I had 4 loads, basically following the details from berger, not to the T I don't think. All same load, all shot in same string. All 5 shot groups, These are from a 260, built for F-Class, around 18 pounds with 28 bull. Off the lands .07 was one of the smallest 5 shot groups I've ever shot, and the load I'll play with more, these were from 100, but certainly far enough to see some good feedback

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    147.8 KB · Views: 148
Very nice. thanks for the link to the test details. I'll be trying this in my rifles too.

I went to a 600 yard BR match yesterday. In more than one occasion, guys told me they were shooting Berger VLD bullets .070 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.