Berger Bullets

kraigwy

I need an honest opinion from anyone who shoots Berger's for elk.

I didn't get my first choice so I bought a left over cow tag. To be different I want to use My M1903A4 vintage sniper rifle.

It's of course 30-06. I couldn't find any Hornady 180 IBs, (my first choice) but I do have an un-opened box of Berger 190 VLD Hunting bullets. Using Berger's Manuel I can get between 2650 & 2700 (reasonably) with this rifle.

I don't need advice on better rifles, I have plenty, I just want to shoot this old war horse.

I need reports on anyone who's used this bullet out of an '06 at normal '06 velocities.

Thanks

Can't vouch for the 190's - but I have used the 180's. Can't imagine the 190's being much different. Shoot with confidence, but be aware of shoulder shots at close range. Even with the slower velocity of these bullets with this rifle, I would still aim for the boiler room when shooting under 100 yds.

I shoot a Win 30-06 Pre 64 Mdl 70 and take elk with it every season. I also use the Berger 190gr VLD Hunting bullet. Two years ago took a 5 point bull at 465 yards and last season a cow at 489 yards. One step maybe. The bullet so far works good 2600-2800 fps at the muzzle.

My most accurate load for the 190gr has been 58gr H4831 2680 fps .070 off. Still working on another load same bullet but using 53gr RE17 2750 fps .130 off.Will use this load or something close this coming season. Gives me a solid 700 yard elk load.

Thanks guys, just the info I was looking for.

Now just to work up some loads that work in this old '03.

Shoot with confidence, I've also have used them on aoudad in the glass mountains. Very Deadly. jeff~

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.