Berger bullets showing pressure

LocalJW

I did the break-in on my new bergara B 14 wilderness Ridge today. I was shooting 130 grain burger 6.5 mm, and a nosler factory seconds for us. I did powder amounts between 49 to 55. I noticed that some of the braas was showing signs of pressure. I'm not even close to what the max was recommended by Berger. Let anyone run into this in the past and have any recommendations I am still new to reloading.

I did the break-in on my new bergara B 14 wilderness Ridge today. I was shooting 130 grain burger 6.5 mm, and a nosler factory seconds for us. I did powder amounts between 49 to 55. I noticed that some of the braas was showing signs of pressure. I'm not even close to what the max was recommended by Berger. Let anyone run into this in the past and have any recommendations I am still new to reloading.
If you're new to loading first question is are you running the same seating depth as the manual has? Seating closer to the lands changes everything, can jack up pressure like crazy.

Berger's data is the same as any other data, just a suggestion of range. Start low and work up to pressure. Where you find pressure is where you find pressure.

They have a different chamber, different primer lot or even primer all together. They have a different lot (faster or slower) than your powder.

Steve

I've had that happen twice while loading for a rifle that I have three decades of reloading experience with. My suggestion is to either download, or put the bullets aside. There maybe a hidden variable that you haven't recognized yet. Could be a carbon ring. Could be bullets, powder, primer out of spec. Could be the chamber or bore. Who knows? The main thing is load manuals or QL is just a guideline. When you see pressure back off. When I first started loading I only loaded for accuracy in the lower nodes.

I've had that happen twice while loading for a rifle that I have three decades of reloading experience with. My suggestion is to either download, or put the bullets aside. There maybe a hidden variable that you haven't recognized yet. Could be a carbon ring. Could be bullets, powder, primer out of spec. Could be the chamber or bore. Who knows? The main thing is load manuals or QL is just a guideline. When you see pressure back off. When I first started loading I only loaded for accuracy in the lower nodes.
Only 3 posts in and someone brought up carbon rings 🤣🤣🤣🤣. No mocking intended, and your points are all good. Just having some fun with ya, the dreaded carbon ring I think half the time is invoked whenever you just can't explain what's happening any other way. Like aliens on the history channel.

What pressure signs were you seeing? What was the load data you were using?

Was it from their reloading manual or given to you over the phone or through email? I ask because I was given information over the phone for a particular caliber that was well above max.
I've had similar experience using Berger info over the phone

If you're new to loading first question is are you running the same seating depth as the manual has? Seating closer to the lands changes everything, can jack up pressure like crazy.
I measured the size of the magazine and built the bullet off that.

They recommend 20th off the lands but then the bullets didn't fit the magazine well so then I could only load a single round at time

I measured the size of the magazine and built the bullet off that.

They recommend 20th off the lands but then the bullets didn't fit the magazine well so then I could only load a single round at time
All good, if you're seating farther than recommended no worries at all as far as that goes. Just don't use data for standard cartridge overall length with a bullet kissing the lands…ask me how i know 🥴

All good, if you're seating farther than recommended no worries at all as far as that goes. Just don't use data for standard cartridge overall length with a bullet kissing the lands…ask me how i know 🥴
Okay fine I'll tell you! 🤣

When I was new to reloading I kept hearing all about loading close to lands (don't really bother with that anymore) but didn't know how much that changed the pressure. Just went on ahead like a dolt and jammed a 180 btip right on in there with my .300 win mag 😃 and kept using the charge I had been using before. - for the record Nosler b tips do just fine with normal
Depths, no need to screw around with that with most hunting bullets.

Aaaaaaanyways….horrendous recoil. Just sounded wrong when it went off too, not your healthy kaboom…just straight up evil sounding. Broke a scope internally. Had to hammer the bolt open with a mallet and pound it back to eject the case (which was sooty and missing a primer with visible web bulge). Happened to have my chronograph out. 3500 fps. When a 24 inch .300 win mag outperforms a .30-378 (at least in their factory ammo), to say that something went wrong is putting it lightly.