Pressure signs not showing at Max load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by MOOSE39465, Aug 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. MOOSE39465

MOOSE39465 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Rifle-Remington 700 6.5 Creedmoor
    Bullet-142 Grain Accubond long range
    Power-H4350

Went to the range today and done some load development. I was pleased to see my rifle really liked the Accubond long range bullet. When I got to the max load on the Nosler website I examined the cases and was surprised I didn’t see any pressure signs. My question is what now? Should I just start increasing to powder charge until I see ejector marks or stop at max? I posted a picture of a case so you could see for yourself.

Attached Files:

PBR driver likes this.
  2. Glenn J Voth

Glenn J Voth Well-Known Member

what did your group do

3. MOOSE39465

At 40.5 grains group was around 5/8ths of a inch 5 shot group. It was so hot I didn’t spend any time measuring. Storm moved in before I could pull my targets.

4. Glenn J Voth

Glenn J Voth Well-Known Member

just work up or down with best group

jareese and Alibiiv like this.
  5. ShtrRdy

ShtrRdy Well-Known Member

What velocity are you getting with the published max load?

6. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

In various rifles, I have gotten up to 43.0gr H4350 in 6.5CMs w. 140-143 bullets before seeing pressure. Work up slowly.

jasonco and Dosh like this.
  7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Maximum suggested loads are just that, Suggested. They are intended to be safe in different rifles. The fact that you are not seeing pressure signs is a good thing. The only thing to do at this point is to run them through a chronograph to verify the velocity.

If it is inline with the load velocity and you are getting good accuracy, loading up can only shorten case life and be hard on your rifle. be happy with your loads.

Loading until you see pressure signs means that you are on the edge of problems and under certain temperature conditions, you can get into trouble. Most of the time if your rifle is chambered correctly and loaded proper ammo that shouldn't create pressure problems you are at or near the SAMMI pressure limits of the designed cartridge.

I have rifles that are built specifically for SAMMI pressure and velocities without achieving pressure signs on the cases and heavy bolt lift.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

8. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

Take 5 chunks of brass,,, reload them 5 X's using the neck sizing part only,,, on the 2nd or 3rd neck sizing only thing you'll notice that the bolt handle is getting tight... An indication that the shoulder needs bumping back...

I call it the 2 to 1 or 3 to 1,,, 3 neck sizing to a shoulder bump back as soon as I notice a tight bolt handle closing... Im in the sweet spot...

This might be the best mileage of your brass,,, of course you get to decide what works for you...

Once I find the 2:1 or 3:1,,, I put my collet die away and do shoulder bump back of 1 to 2 thou for target shooting stuff,,, 3 thou bump back for hunting loads,,, ain't no way I'm going to find out the hard way on a hunting trip... LOL

Any-Who,,, if you can close the bolt handle on 5 firings of 1 peace of brass with very little bolt handle restrictions,,, your probilibly safe to incress the charge,,, but,,, with out the proper measuring tools your heading down a slippery slope... When I feel a """tight""" bolt handle closing on a neck sized only case on shot 2 or 3... That tells me that it's about as far as I want to push the envelope...

The trick is accuracy not speed,,, at least in my books it is...

Cheers from the North

9. Don A Parsons

Don A Parsons Well-Known Member

Whoops I forgot to add,,, I have 2 loads I work with,,, hot Sumner day loads,,, and frozen cold winter loads...

That way I get good mileage out of my brass with out eating primers...

-36 to -40 allows for a spike in powder.

10. MOOSE39465

I didn’t bring my chronograph today. I was more worried about group size. Next week when I go to a different range I can have more details

11. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Yes, you do in fact have pressure signs on that brass. I see an obvious ejector mark (starts between the two oo's on "creedmoor" and ends between creedmoor and hornady) and cratered primer. I'll post your picture bigger. Don't load any hotter, your at/over max. Screenshot_20190812-233614.png

12. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Blown up more. 20190812_234341.png

13. clownbuster

clownbuster Well-Known Member

Is this a new barrel?

MOOSE39465 likes this.
  14. robpiat

robpiat Well-Known Member

If you think that's max, you haven't been to max ;)

Anyways its possible you could find another good node at 42.5 or so but I wouln't mess with it. I have a long throated Tikka and load to 2.925 and 43.2. That same load is unsafe in a normal; chamber.

tmfisher57 and MOOSE39465 like this.