Berger bullets showing pressure

Correct it it's completely factory rifle.
It doesn't make any difference Factory or Custom rifle. He reloading not using factory ammo. So he as the availability to set the bullet where he wants it. Bullet being tight to the lands forces the base back to the bolt face. This is fire forming your cases. When fired the growth is in the shoulder area, and not at the base. The shoulder is where you want the growth at. that will increase the case life. There a lot of work that go into setting up your cases, to start with, and you want the cases to last a long as possible.

It doesn't make any difference Factory or Custom rifle. He reloading not using factory ammo. So he as the availability to set the bullet where he wants it. Bullet being tight to the lands forces the base back to the bolt face. This is fire forming your cases. When fired the growth is in the shoulder area, and not at the base. The shoulder is where you want the growth at. that will increase the case life. There a lot of work that go into setting up your cases, to start with, and you want the cases to last a long as possible.
I understand and appreciate what you're saying. And you're certainly not wrong. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice 500 grains of powder, 100 bullets and primers as well as my time in order to fireform brass that doesn't really NEED to be formed. As I said, you certainly aren't wrong. If I were loading for match accuracy, I would do exactly as you've stated. But I'm loading for hunting, as I assume the OP is. Therefore, I would say that if you don't see significant pressure signs, I would roll with it and keep a close eye on it with the second firing. Nosler is also a rather soft brass which has given plenty of shooters false pressure signs before

It AIN'T,. the Bullets fault, Bro ! Look,.. elsewhere !
I shoot Berger, .270 Classic Hunters at, almost 3,200 FPS, in my .270 WSM and "Pressure" finally, shows up at, Maximum loads as it's, supposed to.
And the ultimate Hunting Accuracy ( Sub 3/4 MOA ), is slightly below,.. Max.
Barrel / Chamber, "Issue's" could be, responsible ( very, VERY doubtful that, it's the Bergers ).
And,. NOT all BRASS is,.. "Good" some are, HORRIBLE !!! Try using,.. Lap, ADG, Norma.
I'm NOT going to guess, BUT personally, I'd find, a GOOD Gunsmith, to check out, the Rifle,.. FIRST !

Last edited:
Not much to do about the topic but a buddy who owns a gun shop and sells reloading supplies told me last week that his Berger rep told him he won't be seeing any new Berger orders being filled because a new contract with military. I didn't ask him at the time if it was specific calibers. I assume so though. .30 cal. for sure. Anyway I'm just passing it on . True or not but he has no reason to bs me.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying. And you're certainly not wrong. However, I'm not willing to sacrifice 500 grains of powder, 100 bullets and primers as well as my time in order to fireform brass that doesn't really NEED to be formed. As I said, you certainly aren't wrong. If I were loading for match accuracy, I would do exactly as you've stated. But I'm loading for hunting, as I assume the OP is. Therefore, I would say that if you don't see significant pressure signs, I would roll with it and keep a close eye on it with the second firing. Nosler is also a rather soft brass which has given plenty of shooters false pressure signs before
Accuracies is the name of the game. You know what your round or ammo is doing out the barrel. By not fire forming your case you are not getting an accurate reading on what that bullet is doing down range. Velocity change after the case is fire formed. As your barrel brake in the velocity change too. So by the time your barrel is broken in you have your cases fire formed. The other is you need a chronograph to see what's truly going on with your round. To formulate where your bullet is going to be at different ranges. Read up on ES & ED's, that will even get you a better idea on what is happening. If you are only going to shoot under 500yds you don't need as much for sure. 1 lbs of powder will get about 116 loads at 60grs each. That about what it going to take to brake in that barrel. Your velocity generally increases as the barrel brake in. Now I don't have my books in front of me. At 500yds you have a fall of about 40+". Depending on what velocity your bullet is traveling at, it can be even greater is slower. Plus what your hold point is @ 100yds. So holding point where, at the animal, you have probable missed or even worst you have wounded that animal. Can you have a higher end scope to adjust for elevation, but if you velocity are changing, good luck again. You still don't have your velocity settle in yet. That about as simple as I can explain it. I don't wish any ill and good luck!

Not much to do about the topic but a buddy who owns a gun shop and sells reloading supplies told me last week that his Berger rep told him he won't be seeing any new Berger orders being filled because a new contract with military. I didn't ask him at the time if it was specific calibers. I assume so though. .30 cal. for sure. Anyway I'm just passing it on . True or not but he has no reason to bs me.
Off topic...apologies to the OP.

A company in FL. was awarded the contract for 800k rounds using the Berger 215 Hybrid.

Berger just finished a run of the 215's....will they make it to market with all the back orders it's hard to say. Fingers crossed.