Berger Bullets for Hunting - Yes or No?

Full Curl

I don't want to start a hard debate and I'm sure there are different opinions out there but I want to know what some of you much more experienced reloaders and marksmen think about Berger bullets for sheep hunting with a 7mm RM.

As compared to bullets like a Nosler AB, Partition, Hornady IB, ELD-X.

Range 0 - 400 yards.

I'm brand new to Berger bullets and have been just recently starting to work on loads with the 168gr Hunting VLDs. I'm getting very good results but have no idea how they perform on animals like a mountain sheep, especially if it's a less than perfect shot...?

I'll have a lot invested into the hunt and just want to make sure I take the right bullets. Thanks for the responses!

I'm loading those same bullets in my 280 Ack. This rifle has a new barrel, and Bergers are new to me as well. This year I'm going to use that combo on cow elk. So, we shall see I guess :D

I have used both 140 and 168 vld's in my 7mag on whitetail and yotes along with nosler and sierra and I prefer the berger's over any bullet I have used so a big yes on sheep or anything else with horns or antlers

168 VLD's in my 7mmRM @ 3,115 MV is like the hammer of thor on whitetails. I have never used a better hunting bullet, and I've used a lot of different brand & model bullets over the years...Including mono's.

Just load them 0.015" off the lands and you'll be fine.

Caliber: 7mm rem mag (.284)
Rifle: Rem 700 BDL 26" with some custom work

I have them at 0.2 off the lands right now and am getting very nice results. Once I find a charge I like I'll play with seating depth a little.

So you have that really special hunt that you have waited a long time to go on and you want to best make everything line up in your favor as best you can to take an animal home with you... do you use VLD's?

Thanks!

So you have that really special hunt that you have waited a long time to go on and you want to best make everything line up in your favor as best you can to take an animal home with you... do you use VLD's?

I got you. Once in a lifetime tag. Dropping 10-15k on a guided hunt…whatever. For that hunt, yes. Use the VLDs.

Now if it were grizzly bears, bison, rinoseros :D then maybe something a bit more stout.

I have them at 0.2 off the lands right now and am getting very nice results. Once I find a charge I like I'll play with seating depth a little.

Thanks!
Full Curl,
Berger seating depth testing information is here : Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD Bullets in Your Rifle | Berger Bullets Blog
Any seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once your seating depth accuracy node is found. Work you load back up checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you increase the powder charge until you find your highest velocity accuracy node. If you have any questions you can contact us here or at [email protected].
Thanks for using our bullets !

Full, I've loaded the 168 VLD for relatives and several friends use them with excellent results. Your comment "with less than perfect shot" made me hesitate a bit. I've seen so many deer and elk DRT with the VLD, but were hit well in the boiler room. Have you tried the Berger 168 Classic Hunter?

Thanks!

Based on my personal experiences with the Bergers, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have used the Berger 185 VLD hunting in my 300WSM and hands down would use it again. Reason I say again is I am moving to the 215 Hybrid VLD after Broz's lengthy thread on this forum investigating the 215's. They shoot unbelievably well and Broz's lengthy testing and game harvest testing is without question one of the best I have seen.

I killed my last bull with a 168 gr VLD, out of my 7mm Rem mag. The shot was exactly 400 yards. He took 1 step backwards, and was DRT! I've killed a few mule deer with the 87 gr VLD in my 243 winchester too, with excellent results. I'm sold on Berger. I turned one of my friends onto them a few years ago. He hasn't drawn a tag, so he hasn't personally used them. But he did load some VLDs for his wife's 308, and she's killed a bull and a cow with them. He said they both were DRT as well.

Every Berger bullet I've used has killed my dinner. Farthest I've harvested was tip over 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.