Berger 6.5mm 156 gr. bullets. . .where are they???

I'm fairly sure that none of us will ever know the real reasons behind the lack of delivery for the 155/156 or the 245. Berger has chosen to either remain quiet or mislead us by giving false dates for so many of the bullets we require. I don't find that the heavy for caliber bullets specifically are all that useful for the average reloading needs.

All the hand wringing and suppositions do nothing to solve their delivery holdups so the best bet is to simply move on and be surprised when they do hit the supply pipeline. I've had to switch around over a dozen cartridges for clients because Berger could not supply us with bullets we needed for reloading. We found suitable replacements and have moved on.

The powder manufacturers have done the same thing to us by intent or misguidance. We've had to switch powders nearly as much as bullets in order to continue with our work. The end result, unfortunately, is that we will start to order larger amounts in order to insure we have our supplies when we need them. This costs us more money just to stockpile in an effort to avoid shortages and it's tantamount to hoarding because of the inability of the manufacturers to manage their businesses.

The other side of that coin is the intention of the manufacturers to create a situation which allows them to raise the prices because of the increase in demand even though they were/are responsible for the lack of product.

Move on, do a work around.;)

Couldn't agree more! Have waited for primers,powder,rim fire ammo, bullets, and lots more things that we see at Safari Club and Shot show to result in months to years to see! If I ran my businesses that way I'd be long done.

I think if you run the numbers your gonna have to get past 1200 to get any benefit of the156 if it ever comes out

I think if you run the numbers your gonna have to get past 1200 to get any benefit of the156 if it ever comes out
If the BC is better than the 150 Sierra, which it should be, then you will see a benefit a fair bit closer than that, but the benefit will be measured in only inches of wind drift and likely less than a couple hundred ft. lbs. of energy at hunting distances, and not worth redeveloping a load for many. I would think it would require a 7 or 7.5 twist as well. For someone trying to get the most out of a 6.5 and making a purpose built rifle is likely where it will find it's niche.

I have run the numbers on my 6.5x300WSM, gotta get past 1100 to start seeing any gains, how many of us are proficient at taking shots at game at that distance. I bet very few.

I have run the numbers on my 6.5x300WSM, gotta get past 1100 to start seeing any gains, how many of us are proficient at taking shots at game at that distance. I bet very few.
Time of flight creates a problem shooting that far. I certainly wouldn't do it on a high value game animal. 5/8 of a mile is a long way to start tracking a wounded animal.

Last edited:
It would depend how you fudged the numbers, there are many unknowns, the bullets bc, the velocity you would get with it, and so on. When I ran estimated numbers the 156 overtook the 140 elite around 700yds in velocity, had less wind drift from the muzzle on out and more energy from the muzzle out. The only place it was outperformed by the 140 is in drop, and velocity out to 700 yds. We're only talkin a difference at 1000 yds of 4-5 inches of drift, 50 fps, a little less than 200 ft. lbs., and 1 MOA of drop.

This is with a difference of 145 fps between the 156 and 140, and with a G7 bc of .370 for the 156. According to applied ballistics, the 147 eld-m has a G7 bc of .315, and the 150 Sierra has a bc of .353, if Berger does it right I don't think .370 is out of the realm of possibility.
Screenshot_20190618-065622.png
Screenshot_20190618-065636.png

Last edited:
Time of flight creates a problem shooting that far. I certainly wouldn't do it on a high value game animal. 5/8 of a mile is a long way to start tracking a wounded animal.
This is one of the most misleading, uninformed, and ignorant statements I have read.

What you fail to comprehend is the new 156 Berger, with it's high BC, extreme terminal performance, and inherent accuracy potential will be so we built that a 1000-1200 yard shot will be what a 100-120 yard shot is to every other bullet on the market today.
With the high BC, this bullet will actually pick up speed as it flies downrange, rendering velocity bleedoff a non-issue. It will also cause the effects of gravity to cease it's pull on the bullet, meaning perfectly flat trajectory.
The terminal performance of this bullet with cause a perfect mushroom to 5x the original diameter, releasing massive amounts of kinetic energy and both temporary and permanent wound channels at any range, along with 100% weight retention with full penetration and massive hemorrhaging with a perfect exit hole every time with no bloodshot resulting in no meat loss whatsoever.
The accuracy will be what people have come to expect from Berger bullets, but even better. You will see F class, benchrest, & KO2M records fall like leaves from a tree in fall, and game animals will be hitting the ground in record numbers. Yet, the surviving animals will be so impressed themselves, they will breed just to have the honor of having the chance to be killed by this new projectile. So populations will abound and flourish. They will also strive to grow rapidly in hopes of being chosen, so true giants will yet again roam the earth.

There will be no tracking, as every shot will be perfectly placed, the animals will die on the spot, a slight red smoke trail will rise from the animal, and a ray of light will shine down from Heaven as the Good Lord Himself will be so impressed, He will guide us to our game. In fact, the bullets will perform so well, the game will be quartered and skinned perfectly when we get to them.

Oh Ye of little faith.

Last edited:
This is one of the most misleading, uninformed, and ignorant statements I have read.

What you fail to comprehend is the new 156 Berger, with it's high BC, extreme terminal performance, and inherent accuracy potential will be so we built that a 1000-1200 yard shot will be what a 100-120 yard shot is to every other bullet on the market today.
With the high BC, this bullet will actually pick up speed as it flies downrange, rendering velocity bleedoff a non-issue. It will also cause the effects of gravity to cease it's pull on the bullet, meaning perfectly flat trajectory.
The terminal performance of this bullet with cause a perfect mushroom to 5x the original diameter, releasing massive amounts of kinetic energy and both temporary and permanent wound channels at any range, along with 100% weight retention with full penetration and massive hemorrhaging with a perfect exit hole every time with no bloodshot resulting in no meat loss whatsoever.
The accuracy will be what people have come to expect from Berger bullets, but even better. You will see F class, benchrest, & KO2M records fall like leaves from a tree in fall, and game animals will be hitting the ground in record numbers. Yet, the surviving animals will be so impressed themselves, they will breed just to have the honor of having the chance to be killed by this new projectile. So populations will abound and flourish. They will also strive to grow rapidly in Hope's of being chosen, so true giants will yet again roam the earth.

There will be no tracking, as every shot will be perfectly placed, the animals will die on the spot, a slight red smoke trail will rise from the animal, and a ray of light will shine down from Heaven as the Good Lord Himself will be so impressed, He will guide us to our game. In fact, the bullets will perform so well, the game will be quartered and skinned perfectly when we get to them.

Oh Ye of little faith.
Hold up sir. This is ONLY true if it is fired from the 6.5 Creedmoor. Make sure your facts are strait.....

The accuracy will be what people have come to expect from Berger bullets, but even better. You will see F class, benchrest, & KO2M records fall like leaves from a tree in fall, and game animals will be hitting the ground in record numbers. Yet, the surviving animals will be so impressed themselves, they will breed just to have the honor of having the chance to be killed by this new projectile. So populations will abound and flourish. They will also strive to grow rapidly in Hope's of being chosen, so true giants will yet again roam the earth.

Oh Ye of little faith.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts