Berger 6.5 Hybrid kills?

Please pardon my ignorance here but are the hybrids that you all are shooting, hunting hybrids, or are they the hybrids listed in the target bullet section on Bergers site. The reason I ask is that I have a new rifle waiting on me when I get home and would like to use the .284 hybrids but don't want to work up a load if the bullet is not suitable for hunting. I keep hearing of people using hybrids for hunting, just need some clarification for that warm and fuzzy thing. Thanks

Please pardon my ignorance here but are the hybrids that you all are shooting, hunting hybrids, or are they the hybrids listed in the target bullet section on Bergers site. The reason I ask is that I have a new rifle waiting on me when I get home and would like to use the .284 hybrids but don't want to work up a load if the bullet is not suitable for hunting. I keep hearing of people using hybrids for hunting, just need some clarification for that warm and fuzzy thing. Thanks

We are discussing the .264" hybrid, which is a target bullet. They currently do not make a .264" hunting hybrid. I do however believe they do make a .284 hunting hybrid. The hunting hybrids are listed as "classic hunters" on bergers page. I think they have a .284" 168 grain, but I could be wrong. Check Bergers website.

We are discussing the .264" hybrid, which is a target bullet. They currently do not make a .264" hunting hybrid. I do however believe they do make a .284 hunting hybrid. The hunting hybrids are listed as "classic hunters" on bergers page. I think they have a .284" 168 grain, but I could be wrong. Check Bergers website.

You're info is nuts on.
Berger made reference to intending to produce a 6.5 140 gr. hunting hybrid (now commonly labeled classic hunters) a long while back but then the shortages and craziness started so they postponed the production of this bullet along with a few others they had intended to come out with.

The .284 hunting classic is available and I have had very good results with them on factory rifles that I have worked on. They definetly are not as finicky as the standard hunting VLD for accuracy on your OAL.

The Classic Hunter bullet is not related to the Hybrid Targets, completely different nose profile to fit and function in factory situations. The Hybrids that have the thin jacket for hunting are called the Elite Hunter which for now is only in 338, some of the Target Hybrids are awesome and the go to bullet for hunting IMO but each bullet needs to be weighted on it's own merit IMO.

Is an oryx a big animal? What velocity are you shooting them at? Did you see similar expansion to a hunting bullet? Thanks for replying

Oryx get up to 1000 lbs mine weighed 800 lbs. I'm shooting them 2932. Expansion was really good bullet held together well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.