Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

With your media testing device. I can see from the photo that the media is not under pressure buy the way that the lid opened up and the media spilt out the top. The quantity and quality of material is variable depending on conditions.

Good point. The amount of media exiting the device was less than a few onces (very little). There is about an inch of space above the media and the bottom of the lid.

Pressure from the bullet seemed to direct media flow more in the direction of the bullet but the lid did have to raise considerably for media to exit the rear.

I think it would be better if the media was under some pressure. Makes sense. Currently the media is water soaked and is hand compressed to about the consistency of a good meat loaf:rolleyes:. How can one describe a feel.:D

Maybe a better device would be more square in shape with an open top. My first attempt was a rectangular box 24" long and about 10" wide. Every thing was screwed together including the top cover. The first shot from the 338 RUM with SMKs immediately reduced it to its component pieces which were quite wide spread.

The next attempt was to rig the device inside of a 25 gallon heavy plastic barrel. A shelf was made within the barrel then the device components held in place with pressure from the barrel. The top cover was allowed to set unfastened on top. A cover closed over the device. The media was contained in a large plastic garbage bag.

The sides were displaced with each shot from any large rifle cartridge but were more easily contained and repositioned.

The device pictured is made of main line irrigation plastic pipe with a 200 PSI pressure rating. The only place for media to flow is out the top.

Fill the box with media and place a neat fitting wooden plate on top of the media.

Then place 25kg to 100kg or so on top of the wooden plate depending on the size of the plate. The plate would press down on top of the media and supply a level of internal pressure. This could then be calculated in in/lb3, kg.m3 or whatever.

You could adjust the weight on top of the box until the desired internal pressure was obtained.

As the internal pressure can now be controlled, a more consistent comparison can be made between bullets. A problem is, that since the media (specially treated and conditioned peat moss) is mixed with water the density of the media increases with depth.

As I ponder your suggestion it would seem to me that not only would what you suggest provide increased consistency between comparisons, consistency throughout the medial would be increased. Thus shots anywhere in the media would produce more consistent results.

Simply remove the weight and top wooden plate to access the material and retrieve the spent bullets. When you replace the lid and weight, conditions should be back to original and ready for the next test shot.

Just a thought.

Good thoughts!

Thank you.

I'll get on it in the morning.

Sorry for rambling but it helps me to think out loud, so to speak.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ya may be right but, it sure might be funny.:D What say Roy? Are you up for filming an episode or two and if so what Myth would you bust....or confirm?:)

Hmmmmm,

In line with this thread and topshot's suggestions I would (and by the way I am, at this moment) attempting to determine the internal pressure of an elk size animal.

I have the density down pat!

Now I need an internal pressure.

The only elk sized animals that are handy and would tolerate the treatment would be one of the neighbor's horses.

I figure a differential pressure sensor with one pressure probe carefully inserted into it arse with the other dangling in the atmosphere would do. With the output connected to an A/D converter and that USB'd into the laptop. I could wait until it farted. Me being down wind would feel comfortable with this position. However anyone who says a horse fart smells bad may lie about other things too.

A plot of the D/P sensor's output would show the pressure curve revealing the fart max, mean and starting pressures. Average internal pressure would then be extrapolated from the data.

Or I could rig up a fish-d-lier scale to work backwards and press on its paunch until I figgered that it felt about right and use that weight/square area for the number.

Or I could.......nah, better not reveal that one.

You guys are reading all of this, huh? LMAO!!!!!!

I'm off to see what it takes to get a shoulder blade out of a butcher.:D

SUCCESS!!!!

ShoulderBlade.jpg

I'll stick it in the fridge until later today.

If I were a drinkin' man, I'd say "hold my beer. Watch this!":)

Kiwi3006, I couldn't help but, notice the pickup truck behind your media...Just curious if the berger made it through the media if you were able to get any results on the berger's effect on metal or rubber?:D

Good to hear it. It does look like fun as long as it wasn't my pickup for a backstop.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.