Berger 30 cal 180gr hybrid vs VLD hunting

The Oregonian

The hybrid claims less sensitivity to seating depth...my understanding is that the VLD selling point is the BC.

In this case, the BC is .002 off....so what would the VLD offer that the hybrid would not? What does the VLD offer that the hybrid does not?

Thx

Berger doesn't offer a 180 gr 30 bullet.

They offer several versions of the 185 gr:

Match Grade VLD Hunting VLD
Match VLD Target

Match Hybrid Target
Match Grade Classic Hunter ( also a hybrid)

The VLD hunting and the classic hunting bullets will have a thinner bearing surface than the target versions. The nose thicknesses are the same. The thicker target versions may hold together better with higher velocities at closer ranges.

IMO the only reason for using a VLD is because you made a load with them before the hybrids came out and don't want to bother to make up a new load.

I found the VLDs to be more difficult to get to shoot. I switched to both target and classic hybrids and don't intend to buy another VLD. The hybrids truly are seating depth friendly as advertised.

AZShooter,

I just was wondering regarding your comments about switching to the hybrrids. I have an extremely good load and set up on the 185 VLD hunting for my 300wsm, but just ran some velocity tests with some 215 Hybrids that Broz sent me. I used a comparator and seated the 215s just like the 185s by measuring off the ogive (hope my terminology is correct, recently went brain gassed on another topic). So hence the overall length from tip to stern was different but where the bullet was off the lands was identical. Prelim was they shot fine, although I need to get a full box and really settle on a load. So from what you are commenting on, the seating depth with the hybrids is really a non factor, correct? I am just trying to wrap my head around this and get information. I sure don't mind changing, matter of fact I am moving to the 215's as soon as I shoot the last box of 185 VLDs I just opened. I was wanting to get the best reloading info I could on the seating issue. Thanks!

Hi,

With hybrids I choose a seating depth to fit and feed from the magazine. In most rifles it yielded excellent results. all I had to do was work up the best powder charge. I am not going to say that seating depth doesn't matter and minor tweaking could help once you find the optimal charge weight is found.

The point I am making is that a random seating depth yielded good results. Some jumps to lands are as much as .150" others only .020" or even less. Based on my experiences with hybrids, I have no further interest in trying VLDs.

Yes, 185's is what I meant to say. I will be developing a load soon and wanted to get a feel for whether I should use the hybrids or VLD's to start out. Mag length isn't an issue as this will be set up for longer bullets, but why introduce a variable (seating depth) if it can be reduced significantly with the hybrid.

I called Berger and the tech said the same thing, so based on what I have learned I will be starting with a hybrid for my load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.