Berger VLD vs Hybrid

Scalloper

This summer I had a Tikka T3 7mm Mag re-barreled. I had a 28" custom barrel installed. I started out shooting 168 Berger VLD using 7828. I worked up a load that was .2 under max. I often would get a flyer so I thought I would try some of the Hydrids of the same weight. I used the same powder charge and measured my chamber to seat the bullets .015 off. The pressure was dangerously high so I dropped back 3 gr and still very high. I sent Berger a email stating that I have a Berger book but there were no load data for the Hybrids. They said "load them as you would VLDs" I explained that I tried that but the results were a huge jump in pressure. No responce.
So my theory is the Hrbrids have a considerable amount more barring surface causing higher pressure. Have any of you experienced this?
FWIW I have not once seen any signs of excessive pressure with this same load with the VLDs

There isn't three grains of powder difference between the two designs. Something else is incorrect.
Did you use the comparator with each bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts