Behind enemy lines in CA. Need to escape. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you manage to get out, some well intentioned advice ; get your car registered in your new home as soon as you have an address. Personally, I see a California plate, I see red. Instantly. I know I shouldn't, but I do. Knee jerk response, I guess.

I understand your sentiment but don't be too quick to judge. I live in Texas, have a couple of cars registered here but an old ranch vehicle that I never bothered to switch over from Ca. I drive it less than 1K/year, mostly to places where I shoot or hunt. But it has Browning, Sig, and NRA stickers on it, so I'm probably safe. Oh yea, and it always has a loaded 9, 40 or 45, ready to rock just in case. Don't even think about trying to tread on me, LoL!

How sad. I'm from NE Oregon and I've also witnessed many of the same negative trends. There is no doubt in my mind that if I were to stay in OR the liberals would strip me of my remaining rights/make me felon in my lifetime. My kids will never see hunting like I had it. Was seriously considering relocating but as you all point out where too?
I hope I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain I'm not; we are the minority and only loosing ground & numbers fast due to lousy parents, lousy public education and illegal immigrants voting. (I recently read that the number of illegal immigrants to CA alone could completely negate 3 other states). I think we are already past critical mass; caught in an unrecoverable spiral. Again, hope I'm wrong and in no way am suggesting "giving up"!

Okay, I will just own this fact that I am a 4th gen Californian, but all generations have been Reagan style conservatives and are from rural CA. With that said, I just retired from Law enforcement and am looking for a safe semi rural place to raise my family. Gun rights are paramount, good big game hunting, and the ability to be left alone. I mind my own business, and don't ever want to turn the place i move to into California. Every state I look at, it seems they are not far from becoming blue. I lived in NV and would not even consider it now since the libs have a super majority there, with Reno and Vegas controlling the state.

I am going to suggest the Texas Panhandle. You are close to New Mexico and Colorado for big game hunting and the population is very conservative. Roberts County and its only town of Miami voted 100% for Donald Trump in 2016. Lots of gun stores and not many restriction.

Okay, I will just own this fact that I am a 4th gen Californian, but all generations have been Reagan style conservatives and are from rural CA. With that said, I just retired from Law enforcement and am looking for a safe semi rural place to raise my family. Gun rights are paramount, good big game hunting, and the ability to be left alone. I mind my own business, and don't ever want to turn the place i move to into California. Every state I look at, it seems they are not far from becoming blue. I lived in NV and would not even consider it now since the libs have a super majority there, with Reno and Vegas controlling the state.
OK here's a wild card thought: I'm a deep south Lou-Z-Annah Swamp Dweller, 2nd amendment Constitutional Originalists. The state went BS crazy last election and now we have JBE as Governor ( still shaking my head is disbelief) but........... We have a state income tax and it actually winds up being about 10% cheaper than Texas. if you hide out along either the Sabine, Red, Atchafalaya or Mississippi rivers we have deer that weigh 180# to 240# big racks. Just a thought ( dam don't why this keyboard is typing is caps? must be the Russians! LOL) Anyhow; the Northern part of the state is big white tail country plus you have everything else to hunt. If you go on facebook and check out Louisiana Deer Hunter group you'll see what i'm talking about. As far as long range....... well you'l need a pipeline of power line right-o-way for that. Good luck sheepdawg!!!! No no sheep here lol!!!!!!

I've been in the fight for gun rights, hunting rights, and other conservative values. I have written so many letters to my elected officials, been to public hearings, organized resistance and such for decades. Now, I am just flat out feel defeated. I just want to live the rest of my life out in some sort of conservative valued peaceful place where I am not considered "different".

Thing is sheepdawng, being ex LEO, you probably have more influence on the people who matter than you think. You know the men and women that enforce the bad laws. It's guys like you who need to stand up and push back. But I do get wanting to just kick back and live your life peacefully and unfettered. I left the urban areas of Calif. decades ago. It's still red in a lot of rural counties.

I am going to suggest the Texas Panhandle. You are close to New Mexico and Colorado for big game hunting and the population is very conservative. Roberts County and its only town of Miami voted 100% for Donald Trump in 2016. Lots of gun stores and not many restriction.
That's the country I'm looking at when we can make the move.

I grew up in northern California. I saw the end coming and left in the early 90's. The way I see it the people who tend to be conservative are those who understand consequences for actions, cause and effect. I believe this to be God's natural order. Our way of life, modern conveniences, medical advances, and so on have insulated people from their own stupidity. Until there's some kind of calamity or something that brings this to bear in the forethought of people I think we are going to continue to see the scourge of liberalism, progressivism, whatever you would like to call it. People are so removed from the consequences of there actions by government assistance that they can just continue feeding their desires. Examples: want to have sex out of marriage, no problem, can get an abortion or government will pay for all my needs if I have a child. Don't want to work no problem government will give me money. I think / hope you get the picture. I think until these things change we are going to see liberalism continue on its course. it's obvious that the liberals are fleeing the places they've created, they are just not aware that when they move, they are bringing the exact thing that created that place, to where they are moving too. And of course they tend to move to the places where conservative values have held sway and created a great place to live.

Last edited:
I'm a little apprehensive as I write this. I'm a CA native(?). Well at least I was born here 67 years ago. I drove truck for almost 25 years most of it running interstate. While I've seen the US and Canada, I haven't lived there. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but I see the day of financially needing to move. It getting too expensive on a fixed income and my body is just not cooperating! Arthritis is taking me apart. BUT!!!! Our nearest town is nearly an hour away. I hunt my own place and have access to several thousand acres of private land. The front gate is nearly a mile away. Nearest neighbor about the same. My taxes are very reasonable. Cost of living can be cut if you work at it. Eat what I hunt, heat with wood and save extra money for the AC in the summer. Yep, there's cheaper places to live. I go to my buddies place in AK at least once a year. He's in Happy Valley on the Kenai peninsula. Costs there are very high. The local politics are terrible! I will probably have to move some day. Where? I have no idea. I couldn't live anywhere I couldn't pee out the front door if I wanted.

I'm in a very similar situation John. But I still need to work. I moved to Texas for work but California is hard to beat in terms of weather and its geographical wonders. Still have my place i rural Calif. Same age, but I still backpack, ski, mountain bike, kayak, hunt and fish, time allowing. Those things are not very accessible in Texas due to terrain and weather.

I'm eyeing Idaho or Montana. Not as much call for Engineers in Wyoming. No way I'm moving to Colorado. Would be moving from Alabama. Everyone says Alabama is safe but it's more of the same. I thought AL was safe until I had to take my Lit class at UAB. Blue hair, gender studies, and universal income crowd was in healthy numbers. Racial groups and queer mixer fliers on campus too.

I am in AZ Wich is ultra conservative but the hunting is not so great, and the liberals are knocking on both doors, I've contemplated moving also to a more conservative and hunting rich rich state and my two top choices are Utah and Idaho.

OK here's a wild card thought: I'm a deep south Lou-Z-Annah Swamp Dweller, 2nd amendment Constitutional Originalists. The state went BS crazy last election and now we have JBE as Governor ( still shaking my head is disbelief) but........... We have a state income tax and it actually winds up being about 10% cheaper than Texas. if you hide out along either the Sabine, Red, Atchafalaya or Mississippi rivers we have deer that weigh 180# to 240# big racks. Just a thought ( dam don't why this keyboard is typing is caps? must be the Russians! LOL) Anyhow; the Northern part of the state is big white tail country plus you have everything else to hunt. If you go on facebook and check out Louisiana Deer Hunter group you'll see what i'm talking about. As far as long range....... well you'l need a pipeline of power line right-o-way for that. Good luck sheepdawg!!!! No no sheep here lol!!!!!!
Wife's from La. Has family there. Mostly gotta pay for a land lease to hunt, like Tx., very little public land to hunt on.

Status
Not open for further replies.