beginner turkey hunter questions

Like yourself I have to draw to hunt turkeys unless someone you know has turkey and will let you hunt them. I have turkeys on my property but in city limits :-(, what all that said nobody has asked the question steel or lead. If you are hunting NWR or SWR (which I will be this year, was drawn) it will have to be steel which would be #3-#4's if you don't have that limitation lead #5 - #6 like many others have said. The best thing to do is pattern your gun to see what's best and to know your distance. There is some #6 on ammoseek.com if you have time to get it and what to pay the high price? Good luck and most of all have fun!

Very good advice about shot size 4-6 and copper plated. Look for the 2-3/4" turkey loads and you will see that they are max loads with heavy loads of shot. If you can't find them get the heaviest loads you can. You want more pellets. Also, yes they hear well, but they also can pinpoint you and will come to your last call even after being quiet for a while. Been busted eating my lunch early or standing to relieve myself. They might gobble when you call, but don't get worried when they go quiet. That's when they are coming towards you. Remember that he gobbles so the hens can find him. Too much calling makes him think you are on your way instead of him coming to you. Call, get him all worked up then shut up for a bit. The silence will kill you. Then you just may hear him drumming as he comes in for a clean close up kill. You have never heard anything like a gobbler strutting in close except a rutting elk. Absolute adrenaline!
Also VERY good advice!

I've never hunted Merriams, only Eastern and Rios, but don't rule out midday hunting if your state allows it. In the morning I always begin with birds I've roosted the night before but once they come off the roost the toms will most likely hook up with hens and it's hard to compete with those live decoys! Most of the birds I kill in the morning are a result of my irritating a hen enough to come check me out and a gobbler or two will follow. I've actually killed more midday when the hens go to the nest and toms are still looking for romance. Rios anyway seem to be easier to call in at this time.
I completely agree. I've killed way more mid day than early.

Good camo gear, hand and mouth calls(practice, practice and practice calling).
Watch video's, pattern to 40 yards with what you can find(being the times they are).
I reload myself so I use 7 and 8 shot in steel, mix!
Choke tube in .675 to .690 I D tubes!
Great advice on here!
Have FUN!

One BIG warning. When you go to pattern your gun, don't be afraid to use a "sissy pad". These are loaded to the max and not your average dove load. They will punish you lol and you don't want to start flinching! When your in the field you will never feel it when the real thing is standing in front of you.

If you have access to one, a pop-up blind is a great way to hide yourself from turkeys. They seem oblivious to them, and it can really help hide your movements in that critical period right before the shot.

I cant believe all of the great advice. It sounds a lot like calling in elk. I looked and I have a mod. choke on my shotgun which it sounds like I need to find a full choke. I will shoot it tonight and see how it patterns. I want to thank everyone for all of the help, it really blows me away on how helpful everyone has been.

Definitely use high base shells. You'll need all the power you can get to put a turkey down. We use 3 1/2" Heavy Metal brand bismuth, with their special blend of shot sizes. Turkeys are extremely tuff birds, and if you don't get a good head shot in, most likely they'll run away before you get a second shot on them. Call them in as close as possible if your using 3" with #3 shot. Good luck! You'll love it. We're going this weekend down to Redding, CA. Big toms there. Opening day.

Definitely use high base shells. You'll need all the power you can get to put a turkey down. We use 3 1/2" Heavy Metal brand bismuth, with their special blend of shot sizes. Turkeys are extremely tuff birds, and if you don't get a good head shot in, most likely they'll run away before you get a second shot on them. Call them in as close as possible if your using 3" with #3 shot. Good luck! You'll love it. We're going this weekend down to Redding, CA. Big toms there. Opening day.
I used 3 1/2s for a while........Didn't take me long to go back to 3s! 😆

Lots of great advice here.. I'll add a couple of things.. a good butt pad as you will need to sit still. Also, believe it or not.. lots if turkeys are missed with a shotgun, people subconsciously think it's such an easy shot, they lift their head and shoot high, cheap clamp on open sights work great and remember to aim where the skin of the head/neck meet the feathers on the neck, that way you don't waste half the pattern shooting over its head when you aim directly at the head. Lastly, don't think that the turkey will actually see you blink, good camo including face masks and gloves and sit still with your gun propped up on your knees. Good luck and have fun.

Agree with much of this input.

Patterning is a must.
I like 5-6 shot.
I tend not to shoot past 30-35 yards. I have decoys set at 25 yards.
Wait for the head to extend up and aim for the head / neck.
Ground blinds are a game changer. Keep netting up and wear black clothing.
Majority of the birds I have taken in my area are mid morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.