beginner turkey hunter questions

I have limited experience with turkeys, but I have learned the following:

1. Be in place well before they come down from their roost and begin to move around.

2. Good camo, comfortable seat, and DON'T MOVE. Don't even blink, if you can help. They have incredible sight.

3. Scout well in advance so you know where they roost, and where they scratch around for food. We had dairy cattle on our land, and they loved to search for bugs in the cow pies. Not sure you have the same setup. But they also love acorns and other nuts, so if you have those, that's where they'll be.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.
Ive never hunted turkey either despite their prevalence in So Fla
Im going for the first time this weekend and went thru your scenario with no ammo or extremely expensive ammo
I decided to use my 243 win instead of a shotgun In Fla you can shoot with anything from pellet rifle up. Idk if thats an option where youre hunting but Im not a big turkey meat fan so Im not planning a dinner around this hunt.

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.
If you need some shells and calls I'd be glad to box some up and send them your way, I liked lead number 5 3 inch shells. I don't need my turkey hunting stuff anymore since moving to Alaska so if you need something just give me a shout,
Mitch

#3 shot is overkill for turkeys. I've always been a #6 guy but let your shotgun tell you what it likes. Get some winchester Long beard #5 and #6 and pattern them. The #6 gave me a more even pattern over the #5s. 5s had some holes in the pattern.

All good advice!

I would add, be patient. I've had turkey come in very quietly long after my last call. If fact, I've bumped a few as I headed back to the truck that were no question headed to me.... I just quit hunting too early.

Get familiar with a locater call, like an owl call or something similar. That will help you in locating roosted toms in the AM. Lots of YouTube videos on that.

Don't call too much. I try and mimic what I've seen hens do in the wild and most of the time they're not yelping every 30 seconds. I use clucks and purrs a lot and a few yelps mixed it.

Pattern your shotgun, most of my shotguns shoot to the left and some shoot left and low. . You won't know unless you pattern it. Pattern it with different shotgun shells to see what your shotgun likes best.

You'll be amazed at Turkeys hearing and sight....It's incredible.

Again be patient and have fun. I've known people to take several seasons before they bag their first spring gobbler.

Man, good for you on the draw. Have fun. Lots of good advice already LRSNM and 74Honker are clearly turkey hunters. Listen to their advice.

Shot, #5, but 4's or 6's will work. 2 3/4 is plenty. I've heard about hunters using 20 ga and limiting shots to inside 30 yds. Never have myself but you get the point, you have plenty of gun.

You'll want to wait to shoot til they break strut then aim just below the head. Youtube will show what I mean by break strut.

You'll want to practice calling. Again youtube. I believe in diaphram calls because it minimizes movement and leaves your hands free. Turkeys have their own language and there are five calling sounds/patterns that are the parts of their vocabulary you'll want when hunting. But you don't have to be an expert. If you can learn to yelp you've got enough. Learn not to putt.

You'll want head to toe cammo. Including face net, gloves and boots. No kidding.

Get some deeks. My favorite is a jake behind a willing hen. Put them at 25 yards. They help you get the shot you want and take the turkey's attention off of you.

If you can, put your turkeys to bed, ie. find a roosting tree the night before your morning hunt and plan your set up. Approach and set up in the dark.

Miriams have a reputation for being the hardest to hunt. Kuiu has a great set of suggestions they just posted, a good read in my opinion.

Get a shock call in case you don't get lucky with your morning set up. You'll have to move and try to locate toms before they locate you. I like a shake gobble. Once they shock gobble, I set up and begin my hen calling. Normally don't set up deeks when I'm running and gunning. No time to waste. Those d turkeys see too good and pinpoint locate you as soon as they hear you. If they're horny as they often are, they'll come to you at a run.

I pack a lunch and stay out all day. Spring weather is great and nothing better than a shade tree and a turkey nap in between morning and afternoon hunts.

Hope some of this is helpful and hope you have a great hunt!

Lots of good advice here. For 2 3/4 if you can find some of the old Winchester Xtended range in a good choke you will be well served. Also, a lot of guys are using the TSS in a standard choke.

I have shot a lot of Turkeys, if you listen to all the hype about Turkey loads it's just that, hype. You do not have to spend $ 5.00 a shell to Turkey hunt. I have used one brand , Winchester Super X #5's 2-3/4" and an Ithaca model 51 with a modified choke all my life. You would be better off to get a good turkey call and practice, practice and more practice. Scouting the night before increases your chances of calling in a bird. Oh by the way I never had to take a shot past 30 yards. You will have to camo yourself and your gun, use your box call or slate call to get them coming in then switch to a mouth call.....BE READY! I have even used my Pedersoli 10 gauge (black powder) to hunt and kill Turkeys. I use a duplex shot load of nickel plated #5 & 6's for good density and a shot cup.

Man, good for you on the draw. Have fun. Lots of good advice already LRSNM and 74Honker are clearly turkey hunters. Listen to their advice.

Shot, #5, but 4's or 6's will work. 2 3/4 is plenty. I've heard about hunters using 20 ga and limiting shots to inside 30 yds. Never have myself but you get the point, you have plenty of gun.

You'll want to wait to shoot til they break strut then aim just below the head. Youtube will show what I mean by break strut.

You'll want to practice calling. Again youtube. I believe in diaphram calls because it minimizes movement and leaves your hands free. Turkeys have their own language and there are five calling sounds/patterns that are the parts of their vocabulary you'll want when hunting. But you don't have to be an expert. If you can learn to yelp you've got enough. Learn not to putt.

You'll want head to toe cammo. Including face net, gloves and boots. No kidding.

Get some deeks. My favorite is a jake behind a willing hen. Put them at 25 yards. They help you get the shot you want and take the turkey's attention off of you.

If you can, put your turkeys to bed, ie. find a roosting tree the night before your morning hunt and plan your set up. Approach and set up in the dark.

Miriams have a reputation for being the hardest to hunt. Kuiu has a great set of suggestions they just posted, a good read in my opinion.

Get a shock call in case you don't get lucky with your morning set up. You'll have to move and try to locate toms before they locate you. I like a shake gobble. Once they shock gobble, I set up and begin my hen calling. Normally don't set up deeks when I'm running and gunning. No time to waste. Those d turkeys see too good and pinpoint locate you as soon as they hear you. If they're horny as they often are, they'll come to you at a run.

I pack a lunch and stay out all day. Spring weather is great and nothing better than a shade tree and a turkey nap in between morning and afternoon hunts.

Hope some of this is helpful and hope you have a great hunt!
One other thought. If you're hunting public land, be careful using a shock gobble call. You might consider putting blaze orange out while running and gunning or use an owl call instead.

Very good advice about shot size 4-6 and copper plated. Look for the 2-3/4" turkey loads and you will see that they are max loads with heavy loads of shot. If you can't find them get the heaviest loads you can. You want more pellets. Also, yes they hear well, but they also can pinpoint you and will come to your last call even after being quiet for a while. Been busted eating my lunch early or standing to relieve myself. They might gobble when you call, but don't get worried when they go quiet. That's when they are coming towards you. Remember that he gobbles so the hens can find him. Too much calling makes him think you are on your way instead of him coming to you. Call, get him all worked up then shut up for a bit. The silence will kill you. Then you just may hear him drumming as he comes in for a clean close up kill. You have never heard anything like a gobbler strutting in close except a rutting elk. Absolute adrenaline!

I've never hunted Merriams, only Eastern and Rios, but don't rule out midday hunting if your state allows it. In the morning I always begin with birds I've roosted the night before but once they come off the roost the toms will most likely hook up with hens and it's hard to compete with those live decoys! Most of the birds I kill in the morning are a result of my irritating a hen enough to come check me out and a gobbler or two will follow. I've actually killed more midday when the hens go to the nest and toms are still looking for romance. Rios anyway seem to be easier to call in at this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.