beginner turkey hunter questions

Coulee kid

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.

#3 Is just fine. I like 2s-4s myself. The 2 3/4 will work just fine.
Pattern your gun and see how far you can shoot and keep a good Pattern.
You can find several good videos on doing that.
If possible run a good extra full choke also.

Good luck with that hunt. Turkey hunting is a lot of fun.

Kris

Man did you open a can of worms lol. If a turkey could smell, you would never kill one! Thier vision and hearing are on a whole nuther level than what you're probably used to. It can be either the easiest, or the hardest thing you ever do lol. As fae as your shot question, some states have regs on shot size. In IL no bigger than 4s and no smaller than 6s. Your 2 3/4 is quite capable and as others have stated you need to pattern a few loads and your gun will tell you which one to use. Shotguns are much like our LR rifles as in they will just shoot some loads better than others. IMHO, I have rolled a few at 40+ but don't recommend it. You only have a head as a target and outside 30 it just ain't a very big target. Head shots ONLY! I like #5 shot. Try to study as much as you can about everything involved in the sport, calling, scouting, habits of them, etc. Beware, this is a VERY addictive challenge lol. Just keep asking questions and we'll do our best to try to answer them.

I'm a 5 or 6 shot size guy myself. Reason is the neck/spinal cord is the the target zone. If you have smaller shot size you have more pellets in that zone. With that said when you shoot the ideal position of the bird is with it's neck and head fully extended. Not gobbling where the feathers protect the neck. I would avoid Head on body shots due to the feathers and breast protecting the vitals. Take a look at a store bought whole turkey or chicken and the anatomy will make sense. When you pattern your gun, as previously stated, make a paper target by making a fist and bend your fist down. This makes the shape of a neck and head. Trace it on the paper from your fist to elbow. You want the pattern covering the neck so aim in the middle of the neck. Take a shot then count the pellets in the head and neck. Now walk back and repeat to get your max range. You want about 6 pellets in the neck and head. Keep moving back till u get to your max range.
Good luck.
PS believe it or not it's almost like calling in rutting bull elk

Man did you open a can of worms lol. If a turkey could smell, you would never kill one! Thier vision and hearing are on a whole nuther level than what you're probably used to. It can be either the easiest, or the hardest thing you ever do lol. As fae as your shot question, some states have regs on shot size. In IL no bigger than 4s and no smaller than 6s. Your 2 3/4 is quite capable and as others have stated you need to pattern a few loads and your gun will tell you which one to use. Shotguns are much like our LR rifles as in they will just shoot some loads better than others. IMHO, I have rolled a few at 40+ but don't recommend it. You only have a head as a target and outside 30 it just ain't a very big target. Head shots ONLY! I like #5 shot. Try to study as much as you can about everything involved in the sport, calling, scouting, habits of them, etc. Beware, this is a VERY addictive challenge lol. Just keep asking questions and we'll do our best to try to answer them.
Very addictive. Just like hunting bugling bulls, but with feathers.

What choke is your shotgun? If it accepts screw-in choke tubes I would suggest buying a Turkey Choke of some brand. I used to shoot #5s but now shoot nothing but #6 since that is what patterns best in my gun with the Jebs choke tube I currently use. Also use loads specifically made for turkey hunting which are typically copper plated or something other than lead, then pattern your gun like Rick said.

I really have to say everyone is so helpful and I really appreciate that. To be honest the shotgun was my uncles which has passed a few years ago and don't know a lot about it. I will take a look at it when I get home and see what choke is in it.

I'll add another vote for #5 shot, that was my old go-to. But there are now blends, i.e., 4-5-6 mixed. I've only used it once, but it did the job and it seems like it might give a bit wider range.