beginner turkey hunter questions

I really have to say everyone is so helpful and I really appreciate that. To be honest the shotgun was my uncles which has passed a few years ago and don't know a lot about it. I will take a look at it when I get home and see what choke is in it.
If it's an old shotgun, it may not accept interchangeable chokes. But that is ok. Use it in honor of your deceased uncle. My favorite turkey gun is my 1978 model Remington 1100, and it has a fixed Modified choke. I'm just careful to get that gobbler in close before taking the shot, much like getting a bull elk in close for a bow shot. That's a big part of the addictive nature of the sport.

I have never turkey hunted before but this year I have the opportunity to try it. I have done lots of hunting for big game but where I live you have to draw a permit to hunt turkeys and this is the first year I have ever drawn a permit. I have a 12 gauge but it only 2 3/4 and the biggest shot I have for it is #3. Is this enough for a turkey? What kind of range should I shoot with this set up? I know these are horrible questions but this is a little out of my realm. When I found out I drew the permit I started looking for bigger shot but it seems impossible to find. Thanks for any advice.
There are many different opinions on this, im sure, but your current setup is fine. I've been guiding spring turkey hunts for the last 10 years and we always take head shots at close range (usually within 15 yrs)-- so there is not really a good reason to get specialized with your loads. The key, as I'm sure you are already aware, is to shoot accurately.

I shot last night and it seemed alright out to about 30 yards with the mod. choke. I was surprised but I was able to remove that choke and I am going to put a full choke in tonight. I am working on my turkey calling but after so many years calling elk with a diaphragm it is hard not to sound like an elk, I guess just habit. lol I will keep trying to get it down or until my wife kills me. Thanks again for all of the great help. Everyone has been great.

I'm a long term turkey hunter (85yrs old) and never shot anything larger than #6 while using lead. HOWEVER, it's a new ball game for turkey hunting since TUNGSTEN became available. TSS is the heaviest of metals which allows you to use a smaller size shot which means many more killing pellets. I've hand loaded TSS ever since it became available. Some like to brag about how much farther you can shoot a turkey with TSS, which I don't do because I still try to call them in to 40 yards or less. The thing I live about TSS is that every turkey I've shot with it (always in the head) was dead & did not flop but a few times. For you with your 2 3/4" it is ideal because of the larger number of pellets. I've loaded lots of TSS in even 20ga & even 410 for friends. Most are loaded with #9 and one friend likes to shoot #11 and he kills a lot of turkeys. My advise would be to get a designated turkey choke in .665 and buy some of the TSS that should be available at most local sporting goods stores, since several companies began producing them last year. You can even get blended loads of #9 & #7, but believe me you have a lot more pellets with all # 9 and they'll kill turkey out to 60 yards and beyond (which I don't do).

I shot last night and it seemed alright out to about 30 yards with the mod. choke. I was surprised but I was able to remove that choke and I am going to put a full choke in tonight. I am working on my turkey calling but after so many years calling elk with a diaphragm it is hard not to sound like an elk, I guess just habit. lol I will keep trying to get it down or until my wife kills me. Thanks again for all of the great help. Everyone has been great.
Ben Rogers Lee, and old turkey hunter from Alabama said on his instructional cassette tape re turkey hunting, "If you're gonna hunt turkeys, you gotta have 2 things: and understanding boss and an understanding wife." (So true!)
He also said, "Remember, you're hunting that turkey on his living room. You could get call from down in a hole, and he could walk right over and look down in that hole to see you."
Being skilled with the diaphragm elk call transfers to calling turkeys (except for gobbles). Just watch some videos re the different types of sounds, and imitate them. As others have said, the worst sounds I have heard were made my live hens and gobblers.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help. Opening day was Saturday and I had beginners luck on my side. I was able to get a Tom to about 15 yards. I was a little skeptical about the 2 3/4" 12 gauge that I was using, but it did a number to him. I can sure see why so many people turkey hunt. I have to say I think I am hooked, but I know I have a long way to go before I can actually say I am a turkey hunter. Thanks again.

Modern day turkey hunting has changed completely with the introduction of TSS...it's now smaller and harder...everyone used 4-5-6 copper plated shot but now the rage is 20 & .410 with #9's TSS...BOTH WILL LEVEL THEM TO 45 YARDS WITHOUT THE RECOIL..I WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT BUT I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND..MY THINGS HAVE CHANGED

Modern day turkey hunting has changed completely with the introduction of TSS...it's now smaller and harder...everyone used 4-5-6 copper plated shot but now the rage is 20 & .410 with #9's TSS...BOTH WILL LEVEL THEM TO 45 YARDS WITHOUT THE RECOIL..I WOULDN'T BELIEVE IT BUT I'VE SEEN IT FIRST HAND..MY THINGS HAVE CHANGED
Only draw back is 12ga 3" Federal TSS turkey shells are selling by me for anywhere from $11 to $13 a shell.
And I personally can not financially justify going out and buying another turkey gun (I own three 3.5"12ga's and two 3" now) one in 20ga just to shoot slightly cheaper TSS shells. No one has 20ga in stock by me so with tax S&H the 20ga TSS will cost the same as OTC 12ga TSS.
Have no doubt whatso ever TSS is the best there is, but my 12ga 3.5" Winchester LB XRs will hammer a tom at 60 yards and cost only $2.46 a shell VS $11-$13 for TSS.
If I were just getting into turkey hunting I'd seriously consider a 20ga and TSS, but I already have have three dedicated 12ga turkey guns and a sizable supply of WLBXR turkey shells stockpiled.

I WAS 90% convinced to invest in the reloading components to make my own 12ga TSS shells, but sadly I just never did it. Wish I had now as I found a pretty good deal on #7 TSS that is now long gone.

Last edited:
I bought about 5 boxes of 5 when they first came out, between $26-33 for 20's and 12's...I now put a TSS in the chamber and 2 Longbeards backing it up...
I bought the KB's from Midway years June after they were introduced for $6.70 a box bought a 10 pack of 10's..looking back they were both smart moves... but nothing hits like TSS that I've ever used..shame it's so expensive...