Beginner-Roosevelt Elk Hunting

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I have been on some big game hunts, but the two I really want to go on now are: Mountain Goats and/or Roosevelt Elk. I have hunted and killed a Rocky Mountain Elk before and that was a great hunt and hope to do it again someday when I can get another tag for one. But, Roosevelt Elk are something that I have always wanted to hunt as well. I love the type of forest they live in and just how massive animals they are. Seems like a great adventure and very fun hunt. So, that leads me to ask about drawing a tag for one of them. Which state is best for a non-resident, as I live in Arkansas.? And in that state which area is the best to hunt in? And if you know of any good outfitters in that state, that would be greatly appreciated?!

Please let me know what your thoughts regarding the questions above and your thoughts on Roosevelt elk hunting in general for a beginner. And anyone who has gone Roosevelt Elk hunting and knows what it is like to try to draw for a tag year in and year out. I would love to hear your stories and see your pictures from your hunt if you don't mind sharing. Any wisdom that you have learned from your hunt that may help me avoid some beginner's mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated! All info, input, and wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!!

Oregon has the best rosie hunts. California is actually better but good luck getting that tag. Look at spoon creek outfitters out of myrtle point oregon, tell kenny, sturgill sent you. He kills giant rosies. Most of that area in oregon is private. And if you havent hunted Rosies itll be tough hunt those elk get ton of pressure on public. Lots of timber and brush for them too hide. If you archery hunt thats the best luck for diy hunt if you can call. Its also otc tag. Now rifle itll take few years too draw each unit is different in time. But kenny has allocated tags. Good luck. Also mtn goat is all draw except Canada and alaska and your going guided there. Im personally buying the tag as second tag on my stone hunt. After 20 years applying in 4 states ive come to conclusion ill never draw.

Oregon has the best rosie hunts. California is actually better but good luck getting that tag. Look at spoon creek outfitters out of myrtle point oregon, tell kenny, sturgill sent you. He kills giant rosies. Most of that area in oregon is private. And if you havent hunted Rosies itll be tough hunt those elk get ton of pressure on public. Lots of timber and brush for them too hide. If you archery hunt thats the best luck for diy hunt if you can call. Its also otc tag. Now rifle itll take few years too draw each unit is different in time. But kenny has allocated tags. Good luck. Also mtn goat is all draw except Canada and alaska and your going guided there. Im personally buying the tag as second tag on my stone hunt. After 20 years applying in 4 states ive come to conclusion ill never draw.
Understood. Thank you so much for the info and knowledge. It is appreciated!

Gotta agree with everything above. If you want to archery hunt the Oregon coast is mostly all OTC and your best chance at a bull. The rifle hunts can be good but having some private land would really help or going guided with spoon creek would be a really good option. He has lots of good land leased and you would have a good hunt.

Gotta agree with everything above. If you want to archery hunt the Oregon coast is mostly all OTC and your best chance at a bull. The rifle hunts can be good but having some private land would really help or going guided with spoon creek would be a really good option. He has lots of good land leased and you would have a good hunt.
Understood, thank you for the info!!!

The above advice is spot on.
I've lived in Oregon my entire life , have hunted elk most of those
Years, Archery is by far your greatest odds. Get in touch with a good
Guide and you will have good success and memories for a lifetime.

The above advice is spot on.
I've lived in Oregon my entire life , have hunted elk most of those
Years, Archery is by far your greatest odds. Get in touch with a good
Guide and you will have good success and memories for a lifetime.
Understood, great to know. Thanks!!

Recent Posts