Elk cull hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park

tysue

Anyone know anything about the Park Service's elk cow reduction hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park. Anyone been on it? Heard you might have to pack out the meat, up to 75lbs at a pop. Anyone done that. Thanks.

Thanks, had seen these comments before, but wanted to also see some about the shooting at game, and etc. With like 200 people participating, (I gather 5 parties of 4 shooters, per week), had to be more folks with something to say. Haven't seen any comments on other site, forums, etc. Did see that they disqualified 13 or so shooters on the shooting part of the test to get to hunt..

Think it would be interesting..

I live in North Dakota and have several friends that were chosen last year to participate. They said it was a fun kill, not a hunt. The elk are radio collared, which means in the morning the Park Ranger and Game and Fish offical find the elk with the transmitting signal. They trek you up to the elk, and tell you which ones to shoot. There are 4 to a group.

This is a very demanding hunt. You must first go to the range and qualify to even go on the hunt. This can be very difficult with a 30 mph wind blowing. It is always wind here. If you qualify, the misconception is that ND is flat. This is far from the truth. In the western part of the state, the badlands make for the hardest and most grueling hunts that there are. To top that off, if you get chosen late in the year, you will be dealing with waist high snow.

Everyone that I know that have done this hunt/kill, said that it was very rewarding. They said they learned alot about themselves and ND. I know the drawing has been held already so this information is late, but I encurage you to try in next year.

Thanks for the info, it's pretty helpful, as I hadn't seen any articles about it from others, anywhere. Did see some comments on it from some folks, but something like, it was hard work, doesn't tell you much

I and 2 of my sons will be going on this in mid Dec. You must sit through an orientaton, only 100% lead free bullets may be used, no muzzle breaks. Last year 200 shooters took something like 424 elk. You are actually applying to be a National Park Volunteer employee so you are there for the whole time and do whatever needs to be done within your group.

Had read that, from info from them, but was wondering how stenuous it was, etc. haven't seen anything from anyone who's been there last year.. Wondering how the hunt is conducted, is it just walk and spot and stalk/shoot, or what. Sounds kinda like that would be the way it's done, though might do some direct line walking getting to an area.. I presume that each team, works a separate area..

what round you planning on using?

I use a 280AI for everything and that causes a little problem in that we have been using Bergers. Guess I'll try some Barnes and see if I can get them to fly straight. One of my sons said something to the effect that they will probable not allow us to shoot very long range so i may not get as anal as I usually do on the reloading/accuracy.

I use a 280AI for everything and that causes a little problem in that we have been using Bergers. Guess I'll try some Barnes and see if I can get them to fly straight. One of my sons said something to the effect that they will probable not allow us to shoot very long range so i may not get as anal as I usually do on the reloading/accuracy.

I used a 280 in Africa 2 years ago. With the 140gr Barnes Ttsx bullets and 55 grs of 4350 (I forget which brand), I got 2900 fps, and under an inch at a 100 yds..killed 12 of the 18 animals I got, with that load, 3 more with the 140gr Ballistic tip, which I won't use again, and 3 with my 338/06 and the 225gr TSX bullets. because they are formed from one piece of material, they are excellent weight wise, essentially NO variation, and very accurate. All the groups would be under an inch, and closer to a nickle at a 100 yds.. I took my 308 to Africa this year and shot the 150gr Ttsx bullets in front of 45.5grs A4064 powder... didn't have time to run it through the chrono and killed 3 of 4 animals with it.. ranging from a small warthog to a Kudu (at 275yds). I ran it through the chrono when I got home, and it's only clocking 2650, but shot 3 in 3/4" at a 100 yds, after I turned the scope up to 7 power, from 3...I usually shoot 5 shot groups , but had shot 3 with the scope on 3 power and said, wfh is wrong, can't see the bull very well, then turned it up, so I could aim at the cross hair in the center of the bull..

Hornady make a GMX or something, that's all "gidling medal", and Nosler makes their e-tip, which I bought for this years hunting, to see how they work.. One thing sure, the X bullets and the other copper ones WILL penetrate.. I hit the kudu at 275 yds, in right shoulder, almost center of it, but he was slightly below me and facing from L-R some..bullet went in the right shoulder and came ou behind the paunch on the left side.. the next shot (he walked into some brush then walked back out) was right up against the back of the shoulder on the left side, and came out a bit lower, on the right side. he still kept walking and dropped dead about 30 feet away... the PH I had actually wasn't too crazy about them, said "too much" penetration. But if I'd ignored him and shot this waterbuck, 2nd day, up the butt, like I was going to , at 25 yds, I'm sure the bullet would have come out it's throat or front of the chest. At least gotten the heart and lungs.. if you go to 24hourcampfire, there's a discussion going on there about the Tsx bullets vs regular ones (quality regular ones, like Swift and Nosler partition), and JJHack says, none of them can touch the all copper..

I will say that I think the cup and cores, seem to induce more shock. But when hit right, everything I shot with the 280, went right down, and that included Oryx, at 4-500 lbs..

send me a note at [email protected], and I'll send you some pictures of stuff I got in Africa. I shot one deer year before last, with the 280 and that BT bullet, and do NOT like it, blew big assed holes out of everything..and on bigger stuff ,like the Oryx, didn't go out the other side, and "blew up" inside..I have some pictures of the only X bullet I recovered, and a BT side by side to show you the difference..

NPS guy told me today, the reason for the non-lead bullets, is that they give the meat to needy, nd don't need some nitwit running in there wanting to sue them, because they found a fragment of lead in the meat..

Don't be surprised if you get to shoot a little farther than expected. A coworker did it last year. He took his at around 450. All depends on the offical with you. Might have changed this year though. Out of the half a dozen I have talked with they all said "Get in Shape". No dice for the second year.

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.