Bees!!

wvbearhunter

I bought two more "over wintered" nucleas hives. We managed to get them transferred from the cardboard to the actual hives. It was a little chilly but the weather says it was the only warm day for a week or so. I LOVE my bees šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Screenshot_20230326_162431_Messages.jpg
20230325_130239.jpg
20230325_130505.jpg

Do you have issues with "africanized bees" where you are? Here in SoCal about all we have is the killer bees the past 10 years or so. I had two swarms last year that a local bee keeper came and destroyed for me.
Mike

Do you have issues with "africanized bees" where you are? Here in SoCal about all we have is the killer bees the past 10 years or so. I had two swarms last year that a local bee keeper came and destroyed for me.
Mike
Not that I have ever heard of but we are pretty far north

We only had two hives entering winter! Both made it through the worst of winterā€¦.one low of -38 F, quite a few -20 to -30's and 4 to 6 weeks straight of lows below zero.

After surviving all of that, we lost one hiveā€¦..really bummed.

I gave them both sugar cake (6 to 1 mix) on a warm day when they were making cleansing flights.

Within a week or so ā€¦..one hive was dead! šŸ¤¬ I'm concerned that the sugar cake may have done it as there were signs of extreme (IMO) diarrhea!

Really bummed to see them survive a bad winterā€¦..only to die as things were starting to get better! memtb

We only had two hives entering winter! Both made it through the worst of winterā€¦.one low of -38 F, quite a few -20 to -30's and 4 to 6 weeks straight of lows below zero.

After surviving all of that, we lost one hiveā€¦..really bummed.

I gave them both sugar cake (6 to 1 mix) on a warm day when they were making cleansing flights.

Within a week or so ā€¦..one hive was dead! šŸ¤¬ I'm concerned that the sugar cake may have done it as there were signs of extreme (IMO) diarrhea!

Really bummed to see them survive a bad winterā€¦..only to die as things were starting to get better! memtb
It could have been coincidental. We lost a hive two years ago because someone upwind sprayed pesticides on their weeds. We believe in blew down toward the hives and weakened them enough to allow hive moths to take over.

Recent Posts