Bead Blasted barrel, can it be polished out??????

Agunner012

I have one rifle with a bead blasted barrel and hate the look. Any way to polish it out w/o a machine?

AG

Without seeing the barrel it is hard to say. Beadblast finishes can vary greatly due to the different size beads used. Scotchbrite pads cleanup SS pretty well and leave a finish somewhere between matte and buffed. If you are looking for a high polish then a lathe or a buffing wheel are in order.

DocEd is right on with his comments. Matte finishes such as those on the upper end Rem 700 stainless rifles are pretty soft and would polish out pretty easily. Others use a very aggressive matte finish and with those you would have alot more work involved.

The only problem doing it by hand would be first of all the forearm cramping!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif But most importantly getting the finish even and looking good.

I use a barrel spinner and a high speed belt sander. Start with a 400 grit belt to clean up all the matting and then finish up with a belt grit of 600. THis will put a pretty good finish on any barrel and do it quickly but you need to have the tools. If you want a really high sheen barrel, I will clamp the barrel threads in the chuck and support the muzzle with a live center of the tailstock and polish the barrel down to emary cloth finish. this takes alot of time and I really do not like polishing on the lathe. Have to be really careful to keep the fine particals off your lathe bed.

By hand, it would be alot of work and very difficult to get the finish nice and even.

Kirby Allen(50)

While we are on the subject of barrel polishing do any of you guys have any tips on polishing a Fluted stainless barrel.
I have a Lilja sendero contour fluted barrel in their ground finish that i want to polish to match the finish on my Stiller action.
I was wandering if their were any tricks to avoid to much rounding of the edges of the flutes? Thanks.

Ian.

Round the flutes.
That is the only complaint I have with the Lilja barrel. The edge of the flutes are sharp. When your hands are cold, those sharp edges are just too sharp.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.