Carpenter Bees

I went outside this morning and did a pattern test for the 22LR Shot Shell #12. I shot Carpenter bees out to 15' with my father in law's 22Mag rifle,, but now using a 22LR.
I just tested 22LR CCI Shot Shell # 12 and the best pattern in both a Browning Buckmark pistol and a 10/22 rifle was 6-7' away getting a 6" Pattern. At 10' it was a 10" pattern so the 6-7' is best.
The bees were out in full force today. We have two decks on two different levels so a lot of wood. It is stained, but not the underside.
I killed 12 with bee spray and then went to the BuckMark. I made the Rule to only shoot doubles or Tripples. No Singles. I shot 32 before stopping. Only have one box of 20 shotshells left.
I waited for one bee to land on the wood and waited for another to come in for a fight. When two were within 6" of each other I would shoot. I was only 6-7' away. Got (2) Tripples and (13) doubles.
Sometimes when shooting them in the air the would "Helicopter" into the ground after being hit!
Now I need to go to the front deck. 🤣
You just need a 22 single action revolver to practice from the hip!

My house is turning into Swiss cheese. Getting on a ladder and trying to get to their holes is challenging.View attachment 454258View attachment 454259
I had a Log Cabin in Elljay, GA about 20 years ago. Had the same problem. Had a case of Brown Silicon and caulking gun just to fill in the holes. We had hundreds of Pine get killed by Pine Beatles the past years so a lot of Standing Dead Pine. I think that all the Carpenter Bees are now migrating to our house. Never saw as many as this year. Getting close to killing a 100 between the Tennis Racket, Spray, and the 22 rat Shot in just a few days.

You'all are having so much fun. Any Guided trips?
The Carpenter Bee season is almost over this year with High Count Harvest.
We are already booked for 2024 and taking reservations for 2025.
Accommodations - Room ,Running Water, Food, Beverages, Internet, TV, AC.
We can also cook what you shoot!
Can also provide Firearms & Ammo.
Most Shots can be taken from the picnic table on a covered deck.
Airport Pickup Available.
Trophy Fees apply to BUMBLE BEES!
Bee Hunting during daylight house and also have Hog & Coyote Night Hunting.

I made a bee trap from a piece of Cedar, a mason jar screwed on the bottom. Holes are drilled in the side of the cedar that leads straight down into the jar.

Freshly broken-off cedar in the mason jar seems to be the attractant. This jar also catches hornets. We catch a lot of carpenter bees, especially the first two years!

Someone needs to post a picture of a life size mount.
You asked for it!

1680967366616.jpeg

Attachments

• Bumble Bees.jpg
    Bumble Bees.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 20