Bedding the Action on a Tikka T3X

OK, the billion dollar question: Was the improvement in accuracy worth the investment/effort? That was really the main thrust of my original post. Can I also ask which models? I have two T3X's, one is a 223 with the heavy Varmint barrel, the other is a Lite in 308 with a lightweight sporter barrel.
The 1 penny answer is "I don't know" :) Didn't test it before. I tore it apart, removed the webbing in the barrel channel, filled with lightweight epoxy fill and a chunk of galvanized 1/2" pipe. Made up some pillars, filled the butt with insulation and lightweight epoxy. All said and done, an afternoon of time and not much money in materials and I had a very stiff 35oz stock that shoots. Again, I didn't test before, so I can't tell you how much it improved

They shoot just fine with the tupperware stock. Bedding would be a waste of time, effort and money. The design works and you'll be better off spending money on ammo, a tripod, bipod, shooting mat, range finder, trigger, etc. If your determined to improve the accuracy buy a quality stock and pillar bed it. My two cents.

They shoot just fine with the tupperware stock. Bedding would be a waste of time, effort and money. The design works and you'll be better off spending money on ammo, a tripod, bipod, shooting mat, range finder, trigger, etc. If your determined to improve the accuracy buy a quality stock and pillar bed it. My two cents.
why do you say it is a waste? What tests have you run and results did you get? I've done 2 for friends that were shot prior too and it helped. Mine I've done before shooting.

I have a 30-06 Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut stock that my son and I have used to take a couple of deer. I sighted it in with Reduced Recoil ammo with my son in mind. Killed one buck with Hornady's 125 grain SST and my son killed one doe with Fusion's 170 grain Reduced recoil ammo. My son is older and bigger now, so I want to zero with full power ammo now, but I'm also wondering if there isn't anything I could do with this Walnut stock to accurize it before I start ammo testing.

Does the Lumely Pillar & Lug Kit work with the wood stocked Tikka Hunter, or would it be better just to use a little AcraGlass or some other bedding compound? I really would like to hear from someone who has done some bedding on the Walnut stock.

But it appears that most just tighten the screws and it shoots pretty well. Just wondering what approach will get the most out of the T3 Hunter?

Unless you really want a two stage trigger or a set trigger I would say a trigger is a bigger waste of money than a stock. I have a T3 light that admittedly shot well with the plastic stock but there was noticeable flex in the forearm. I put it in a factory laminated stock and it did tighten up the groups a bit but now I can use a sling to aid in shooting freestanding without twisting the stock. The factory trigger when adjusted down to 1.5 lbs is just as good as the timney I have on my custom Rem 700.

I have a 30-06 Tikka T3 Hunter Walnut stock that my son and I have used to take a couple of deer. I sighted it in with Reduced Recoil ammo with my son in mind. Killed one buck with Hornady's 125 grain SST and my son killed one doe with Fusion's 170 grain Reduced recoil ammo. My son is older and bigger now, so I want to zero with full power ammo now, but I'm also wondering if there isn't anything I could do with this Walnut stock to accurize it before I start ammo testing.

Does the Lumely Pillar & Lug Kit work with the wood stocked Tikka Hunter, or would it be better just to use a little AcraGlass or some other bedding compound? I really would like to hear from someone who has done some bedding on the Walnut stock.

But it appears that most just tighten the screws and it shoots pretty well. Just wondering what approach will get the most out of the T3 Hunter?
I bedded my wood stock and used the lumley kit, worked like a charm. I prefer Devcon to AcraGlass as it's just easier to work with in my opinion. Mine shot well stock but really started making clover leafs after the bedding and changes to my magazine and bolt throw for the longer bullets.

Experience: 74 years old, 5 years USMC, 3 Tours Combat Vietnam, 2 Years 3rd Marine Division Rifle Shooting Team. 100% Disabled Combat Veteran. Competitive DCM Match Shooter 35 years. Rifle builds well over 400.
None of this makes me an expert, However back in 1966 Marines in Vietnam were rebuilding the Korean War sniper rifles because they were worn out. I was lucky to be one of those Marines. Wooden stocks would warp from the moisture, etc. Those rifles had heavy barrels, bases and bottom rings were welded to the actions. They worked.
My observations with plastic stocks suggest that the majority are junk. But you can marinetex them and improve their accuracy. Tikkas are a unique firearm in that the V-Block design is a well thought out system that works exceptional well. I believe in my opinion that a shooter is better served as I suggested in my post that shoot what you have. Pillar ands stock bedding a stock is great and should be performed with wood or laminated stocks where significant improvements are beneficial.
Thanks for your concern and no offense taken. As I stated it's my two cents worth.
Sgt of Marines Retired
SEMPER FIDELIS

I have 5 Tikka T3 and T3x right now.They all shot from great to exceptional in the factory plastic stocks.I have put 4 of them into McMillan Sako Monte Carlo style stocks with Edge fill.They come with pillar bedding from McMillan.I don`t think they shoot any better then the factory plastic stocks,but the McMillan fit me better.I tried the slide on raised cheek pieces,but they inhibit the bolt from fully coming back or I would have stayed with that.The T3x have stiffened up the stocks quite a bit and if a classic style stock works for you,I would stick with it and not worry about bedding .JMHO,Huntz

Some of the tools I use. I do allot of shooting in the field, the range, and practice in my backyard regularly. I'm a member of our local varmint club and help members improve their shooting skills. Pass your skills and knowledge along.
SEMPER FIDELIS

Attachments

• tripod LR.jpg
    tripod LR.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 246
  • sight in.jpg
    sight in.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 176
  • My original cradle and tripod.jpg
    My original cradle and tripod.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2702 - Copy (2).JPG
    IMG_2702 - Copy (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
Tommo, check out this thread:

The whole thread is about a troublesome t3 with a tupperware stock. The fellow ripped into the stock immediately and it was apparently giving him some grief. Lots of opinions and thoughts there including mine. I have 2 Tikka hunters with the wood stocks and much prefer wood over plastic for a number of reasons. They both shoot bugholes.... as a lot of others have also said.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Tens :cool:

Experience: 74 years old, 5 years USMC, 3 Tours Combat Vietnam, 2 Years 3rd Marine Division Rifle Shooting Team. 100% Disabled Combat Veteran. Competitive DCM Match Shooter 35 years. Rifle builds well over 400.
None of this makes me an expert, However back in 1966 Marines in Vietnam were rebuilding the Korean War sniper rifles because they were worn out. I was lucky to be one of those Marines. Wooden stocks would warp from the moisture, etc. Those rifles had heavy barrels, bases and bottom rings were welded to the actions. They worked.
My observations with plastic stocks suggest that the majority are junk. But you can marinetex them and improve their accuracy. Tikkas are a unique firearm in that the V-Block design is a well thought out system that works exceptional well. I believe in my opinion that a shooter is better served as I suggested in my post that shoot what you have. Pillar ands stock bedding a stock is great and should be performed with wood or laminated stocks where significant improvements are beneficial.
Thanks for your concern and no offense taken. As I stated it's my two cents worth.
Sgt of Marines Retired
SEMPER FIDELIS
I won't list my military service because it has nothing to do with tikkas shooting better before or after bedding. People say don't waste your time bedding but don't list any testing done to determine if it works or not for the tikka. I have done some for friends that it helped, but mine I did from the start before ever firing. I'm in no way an expert, but I have tested both ways and seen an improvement. I simply asked what testing was done.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.