Bedding Manner's Stock?

samson

I am thinking about purchasing the Manners T4A and am wondering about bedding. I currently have an HS Presision with Alum Bedding Block and Skim Bedded the action. How does one suggest bedding the Manners stock? and are the Manner's good quality?

I think the Manners will be hands down nicer fit/finish than the HS. I've had HS and have seen Manners (I run a few McM's) and I think the manners win out. The Manners are probably in some instances better fit/finish than McM. I'd either do it by the tutorial's/pics on snipershide under the gunsmithing forum or have a gunsmith do it. I would just let a gunsmith do it for the money a Manners cost. My gunsmith will do the bedding job for $150.

I am thinking about purchasing the Manners T4A and am wondering about bedding. I currently have an HS Presision with Alum Bedding Block and Skim Bedded the action. How does one suggest bedding the Manners stock? and are the Manner's good quality?

Manners' bed just like any other stock. I had a T2 for quite awhile, when Thomas first came up with the T2 he offered some up at a greatly discounted rate in order to get some out there and he wanted opinions/feedback on it. It was a nice stock and had very similar ergo's to the McM A5's that I'm fond of. The forends of the 2 were very much the same, the grip/angle was also much the same. The difference was the lack of a butthook on the T2 and it was not offered in a gelcoat finish. I really like the butthook on the A5's and use it quite frequently while shooting from field positions and find it very handy. I also prefer a gelcoat finish on the stock.

Quality wise, it was every bit as nice as my McMillan's, there was just the personal preferences that I outlined above that didn't work for me.

I just simply bedded the action and poured a small barrel bad on mine, I also bedded the bottom metal on this one.

DSC_1134.jpg

DSC_1130.jpg

I would just let a gunsmith do it for the money a Manners cost. My gunsmith will do the bedding job for $150.

There's nothing really complicated about bedding rifles. I can't see paying anyone 150$ to bed a rifle, even installing your own pillars is not that difficult of a project. The initial cost of the stock really shouldn't have any bearing on whether you bed it yourself or not, there are many many tutorials floating all over the net. If you screw something up (which is pretty unlikely, really) its no thing to grind out bedding material and have another go at it. Bedding a rifle is is one area that a guy can do himself on a rilfe build and put that money toward more bullets/powder and shooting time. I do understand that some guys only want to drive them and have no interest in working on them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My shooting pard's first experience at bedding a rifle was with a GAP built barreled action and one of the USMC return M40A1 stocks. He called me on the phone when he was actually ready to do it and I talked him right through it. As you know, those stocks are worth a fair amount of money and he was more than a little nervous. (grin)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.