choate stock bedding?

beakus33

ok last night im lapping in scope rings on my savage 111 and i notice a little wiggle? the action has loosened in the stock( wood,stock).so i have to take it all apart to see how it all goes together and im not impressed,so i ended up ordering a new choate sniper( not my first choice but my wallets chice). now my question is do i bed this stock or not,i thought i read that they say not to.i looked in there FAQ section and couldint find anything. any ideas? i just can't see how a recoil lug can work without it.

I use the choate "tactical" as my first choice. Have no experience with the "sniper" but understand they use the same V shaped aluminum block. They say it doesn't need bedded, they say bedding it eliminates it's ability to evenly disperse force as the action is pulled down into it. So.............they say do not bed it..................I do bed it with devcon like anything else. I simply think of the V block as aluminum pillars on steroids. I chose the stock for it's but hook, wide forend with adjustable rail, readily available spacers for cheek hight and length of pull, vertical grip, huge barrel channel, indestructible construction and of course $200 price tag. I just could not bring myself to install it without bedding it so I did and it worked out great so now I always do. You can install for a "even stress" or bed it for "stress free". I hate stress so I bed everything so I never have to wonder what if.

thats along the lines i was thinking, to me bedding makes the action one with the stock as much as possable,to where as the v-channel is more or less a wedge action into the stock with min. contact area.

hey there,
i"ve got two savages wearing choate stocks, one a short action folding ultimate sniper and the other a long action in the newer tactical stock... really like both of them. They're a little heavy but they fit me really well.

the short action stock fits the action like a glove and the rifle shoots great so i havent touched it...
the long action didnt shoot that well compaired to the previous stock i had it in when i first dropped the action into it.. i noticed there was some gap between the front v-block and the recoil lug so i just bedded the recoil lug area. after that it turned into a tackdriver.

both stocks seem to work well with the aluminium v-block system as there is even, consistent contact between them and the action as evidenced by identical even, parallel marks along the full length on each side of the vblocks from the action contacting them. you wouldnt think such a small surface area of contact would impart a "stress free" situation on the action but it seems to work...

i say try it without doing any bedding first, if you arent satisfied after that try just the recoil lug area.. if you still dont think it is good enough then bed the whole action.... then again i'm lazy so i only do what is neccessary to make things work, you may feel the need to bed it right from the get go and i can't say that is wrong maybe just unneccesary ...
good luck

orch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.