Bedding Fierce Rifle

Kiwi shoe wax does an excellent job as release as well. The paste in a can. Recently I couldn't find the neutral color, so used dark brown. It blended in perfectly.

I swear, I'm missing something, or something is missing. Is there supposed to be , like, a key, or along the lines of square stock, that fits into the recess on the reciever? Cause looking at the stock, there appears to be a difference in color, suggesting morning was ever there.
Screenshot_20231030-154225~2.png

I swear, I'm missing something, or something is missing. Is there supposed to be , like, a key, or along the lines of square stock, that fits into the recess on the reciever? Cause looking at the stock, there appears to be a difference in color, suggesting morning was ever there. View attachment 506749
That difference in color matches perfectly to the "reverse" lug in the action. So that is likely from a lack of contact by the action. It doesn't make sense to me that the action would have the recess but not be used to hold the action in place. That spacer appears to be aluminum and seems to be bedded in place. I'm guessing I would want to grind away at least some of it if I were to bed the action, but I will definitely do more research if I decide to go that route.

Probably just the angle of the shot and lighting, but it looks like the area to right/bottom of the rear pillar might be proud of the pillar? The rear pillar needs to be flush or slightly proud of the glass around it.
Proud? Sorry, I'm not sure if that's a typo or a term I'm not familiar with. I'm happy to photo a different angle.

At this point, Fierce has accuracy tested the rifle and it's met their requirement. I would recommend you first, grab a box of the factory ammo used for their testing and see if you can duplicate the results at the target. I'll add one more very important point, because we know nothing about you or your shooting skills... do you have the experience/ skills to shoot a lightweight magnum like this accurately? Not a dig by any means, but it's a fact that some shooters are recoil sensitive- and shooting cloverleafs with a 6 lb., .300 WM is a tall order. If this is your first lightweight magnum, might have someone else with that experience drive it to see if their results differ.

Not trying to dissuade you (well, as a smith- maybe a bit)- but unless this is your only rifle, get your first experience bedding something else before tackling a $4K rifle. If it were a rifle of unknown accuracy (unfired by the builder), it would merit a lot more investigation, beginning with borescoping the barrel/chambering. But, you've got a well known builder that's accuracy tested the rifle- and unless you think they're faking the targets- believe the target you're looking at. It's most likely not a problem with the rifle, more likely your handloads and trying to find the sweet spot...JMO
I did just that. I grabbed matching factory ammo and was able to sufficiently meet their accuracy benchmark (.56" @100 yds in moderate wind). So I trust their results, I'm just hoping to get the same results with 200gr+ bullets.

It doesn't bother me to ask about my capabilities. No one here knows me. I know I'm not a world class shooter by any means. I am very meticulous and detail oriented though, to include my shooting routines for groups and reloading methods. I would have to go through my notes, but I would guess I went through 160+ hand loads during load development. I tested three powders (H1000, Retumbo, and IMR4350) and two bullets with all three of those powders (212 ELDX and 210 ABLR).

I got good results with both bullets and all three powders, but not consistently. Any time I got sub 3/4moa results, I would duplicate the load and load additional rounds for testing at varying seating depths and with minor powder differences on either side. Virtually every time, the groups would open up substantially, to include the identical load previously tested (1.25moa and bigger).

I would definitely like to leave the rifle as is if I can find a consistent load that is ~1/2moa (other than a lightweight 165gr). But if bedding is a likely issue, then I will either tackle it myself or pay someone to do so.

Not that this proves anything, but I have a Seekins Element in 6.5PRC. It is substantially lighter than my Fierce, and I don't have a brake on the PRC, so the recoil feels as strong or maybe stronger than the 300wm. I consistently shoot 1/2moa groups from various locations and conditions. I'm sure it is capable of more than I am.

Thanks for all the advice and insight. Keep it coming so I can come up with the best approach to be happy with my desired outcome in the 300wm.

The rifle might just have a preference for the 165s. If it shoots those consistently, I don't think you have a bedding problem. Having said that, the Fierce is largely a copy of the Sako 85 although the Fierce has tighter tolerances than the Sako. The owner of Fierce said so in an article you can find online. It was the action type he thought was the best on the market at the time he started Fierce.

I have two Sako 85s and both have the same bedding arrangement with the metal lug except mine have two screws which go through the bedding lug into the stock. There are some folks who have bedded this type of arrangement. If you do a web search for bedding a Sako 85 you'll find a few.

I don't see that loaded factory ammunition is available with that bullet?
If that's the case, and the manufacturer is using handloaded ammunition where it's impossible for you to replicate their accuracy tests that's no bueno in my book. Should be a match grade, factory ammunition used so that results can be replicated.

If the action is being stessed, or moving under recoil- which is what bedding is intended to eliminate- it will manifest inaccuracy regardless of the ammunition. If it's capable of shooting accurately, it's not a bedding issue IMO.

The fact that you cannot confirm their test results leaves me skeptical- and the inconsistent (read- same load, differing results at target) results you're getting do indeed speak to a stock fitment issue in many cases. If bedding voids your warranty, I would contact Fierce to discuss- including the nature of the ammunition used for their accuracy testing before shipment.
All kinds of factory Barnes ammo available.