Bedding after rebarrel

jon12

If i bought a remington sendero and had it glass bedded and free floated, if i had it rebarreled later, would the glass bedding in the stock still work or would ihave to have it somehow removed and redone? It seems like the action isnt changing size or shape and the new barrel is the same contour where the glass bedding may contact it just in front of the recoil lug, so taking the barreled action out of the stock, rebarreling it, and putting it back in shouldnt affect the perfect stack to action fit caused by the glass bedding, right?? The reason i ask is because im thinking of buying a remington sendero, doing a few mods like trigger and glass bed, and then have the action blueprinted and put a matchgrade stainless barrel on there when i get the money, and idont want to pay to have it glass bedded twice.

Thanks.

One of the reasons that you glass bed is so that you have a perfect fit from surface to surface. IMO Changing the barrel would require a change in the glass, but only where it contacts the new barrel. I have had the glass under the chamber (about 1.5") ground down and a new thin coat added so that the new barrel mates to the stock as well as the previous barrel did. It cost next to nothing to have this done when a barrel is installed.
If the new barrel contour is a perfect duplication of the original than you could probably avoid this minor reglassing but I'd rather do the touch-up and know that its mated perfectedly.

VH

Jon12-If you have it bedded you should have it bedded with the barrel floated/no bedding under the barrel!!! This will enable you to replace the barrel with the same contour premium barrel without doing the work twice.
With a Sendero weight barrel free floating will come out better than bedding it under the barrel too!!! Barrel bedding is to help with heavy barrel weights that are on the verge of flexing the action. This will not be the case for you!!! Good Luck!!!

Dont forget to rebed behind the recoil lug--cause when you blueprint the action a few.001's will be removed from the face of the action and put the lug at a little different spot.

also i would put a heavier lug on anyway so you would rebed that area.

from the front action screw to the tang i would leave untouched, but rebed the lug area and under the barrel.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.