bedding a seating stem

BUSTINDOGS

I have a custom die from CH4D and the seating stem leaves a ring around the bullet when seating the 7mm 195 Berger's. I was thinking about indicating it in, in the lathe and cutting the inside to better fit that bullet... when I light bulb went on, and I thought I should bed the bullet into the stem.
Has any one ever done this?

I bedded my stem on my forster micrometer for my 300 win mag. I did it with the die completely assembled just barely seating the bullet into the case. That way it would hold everything in line. Used devcon 10110. It seats more consistently now and just feels better doing it too. Make sure you fill the hollow point and then go in with a drill larger than the meplat so you don't have it damaging any that are slightly inconsistent.

if a guy were to take a seated dummy round and make it as concentric as he could ( maybe even lathe up a all copper berger clone) and use that for your seat jig -- ink it and check seater plug it for full diameter contact , or as much contact as you can - maybe cutting the seater to match , or do your bedding with with it
as i have seen some dies threads , when seating , be out of time due to thread tolerances ( only seat contentric , at 6 'oclock while being off a few thousands at 12 oclock ) if you just indicate off the seater plug it may not be concentric with the die --

the problem is the shape of the bergers, being so long , alot of seaters dont match that high taper and only press at one corner of their angle

I have done that; made a dummy round, spun it for concentricity and put a little JB on the upper half of bullet and turn it by hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.