For any one who has "bedded" their seating stem...

TheDerkster

I talked to whidden gunworks, and he suggested that I go ahead and bed the seating stem to my 7mm 195 Bergers since the stock seating stem was leaving deep rings in the bullet.

I made a new seating stem last night, but it seems that using putty is to stiff and won't squeeze out properly. Has anybody done this procedure? What did you use? I'm thinking I might just use JB weld, but I still have some Devcon 10110 that I have left over from a bedding job. Ill need to clean the stem back out, but that's no big deal.

Very interesting idea.

I still think too much neck tension is to blame not the seating bell (stem). Or work hardened brass necks

.002" is what I recommend. Measure the ID of a sized case and see how much smaller it is than a bullet.

Or anneal your brass.

Very interesting idea.

I still think too much neck tension is to blame not the seating bell (stem). Or work hardened brass necks

.002" is what I recommend. Measure the ID of a sized case and see how much smaller it is than a bullet.

Or anneal your brass.

Brass was annealed prior to reloading and neck tension is .0015.

Ok.
I get a very small groove, like .001" deep on eld-x and vld hunting bullets but I use cheap Lee dies :D:D:D:)

I talked to whidden gunworks, and he suggested that I go ahead and bed the seating stem to my 7mm 195 Bergers since the stock seating stem was leaving deep rings in the bullet.

I made a new seating stem last night, but it seems that using putty is to stiff and won't squeeze out properly. Has anybody done this procedure? What did you use? I'm thinking I might just use JB weld, but I still have some Devcon 10110 that I have left over from a bedding job. Ill need to clean the stem back out, but that's no big deal.

As far as bedding compounds go I'd suggest Devcon 10110. MUCH stronger than JB weld.
Hell I might even try to bed one just for kicks.

I wouldn't use anything but Devcon.

If you know a machinist, you could turn up a new stemmfrom scratch.

Cheers.
gun)

I have done this and it works great for me! I used bed rock and oiled the crap out of everything else including bullet and brass then put it in the press and let it dry ingredients actually YouTube it lol butt I know longer get groves and it works great

I wouldn't use anything but Devcon.

If you know a machinist, you could turn up a new stemmfrom scratch.

Cheers.
gun)

I technically am a machinist, but not a good one.I work in a machine shop at my college part time learning tricks of the trade and how to use everything. Lathes, cnc mills, 3 big bridgeports, cnc plasma cutters, 3d printers, etc. I made a stem already. I just need to clean it out again with a drill bit to get the jb steel stik out and run some Devcon in it

I had trouble with 1 seating stem making a ring. With a Dremel tool and Bright stick ( Dremel rubber polishing stick with abrasive imbedded). By using one that had been worn to a point, I was able to remove the cause of rings on seated bullets, Rim on edge of recess in end of seating stem was the cause. I have used a metal filled epoxy, (J B Weld and/or Brownell's Accura glass with metal powder.), To form fit seating stems to cast bullet nose profiles. In Pistol and rifle dies both.

Be sure to clean the recess in the stem to allow solid bonding of Epoxy to Seating Stem. Be sure to coat outside of stem and inside of die with a release agent or grease, So the die will not get locked up.

Me and my Shootin buddy had the same problem with the Redding comp seater in 6.5-284 and 143 ELD-X. It was leaving a nasty ring. Called Redding. They sent 2 more stems. Same **** different day. So we used JB weld to bed the stem. Works like butter now. No need for Devcon. Mix it up. Shove a bullet in the stem. Wipe off excess. Put seater in press in the seating position. Put a bullet in a piece of brass. Run the shell up into the seater WITHOUT seating the bullet. U just want pressure on the stem. Leave it over night and Walla!! Works titties now!!

Me and my Shootin buddy had the same problem with the Redding comp seater in 6.5-284 and 143 ELD-X. It was leaving a nasty ring. Called Redding. They sent 2 more stems. Same **** different day. So we used JB weld to bed the stem. Works like butter now. No need for Devcon. Mix it up. Shove a bullet in the stem. Wipe off excess. Put seater in press in the seating position. Put a bullet in a piece of brass. Run the shell up into the seater WITHOUT seating the bullet. U just want pressure on the stem. Leave it over night and Walla!! Works titties now!!

I went ahead and did the devcon just because I have some anyways. Much better, but still some variance in seating depth. Id say 30-50% still are off +/- .004. Maybe it's the bullets or the fact that the dies rely on press accuracy since there isn't a dead stop with the sliding sleeve.

I'm use to my lee dies with the 308 where I'm almost always +/- .001 if not .0005 with 178 gr hornady match bthp.

FYI Redding make a VLD seating stem that has an angle to match the steeper bullet profile....at a whopping $20 each. Ouch

I went ahead and did the devcon just because I have some anyways. Much better, but still some variance in seating depth. Id say 30-50% still are off +/- .004. Maybe it's the bullets or the fact that the dies rely on press accuracy since there isn't a dead stop with the sliding sleeve.

I'm use to my lee dies with the 308 where I'm almost always +/- .001 if not .0005 with 178 gr hornady match bthp.

How are you messing ur OAL after seating??

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.