Beating a dead horse

Caleb777

Hello all!
I'm putting new glass on my rifle and considering all my options right now. I'm a long time shooter but the brands are so unpredictable nowadays I feel as if you don't immediately know you're getting a good product from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, Leica…anymore. Granted they all have budget models and I would expect them to perform as such. But I'm seeing a surge of people thoroughly dissatisfied with $1500 optics. That's a large chunk of money!
For reference, I've been eyeing up the VX6HD, Zeiss V4, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Razor LHT…etc. Basically the majority of big names in optics. And not a one of them embodies what I desire for an optic.
Leupold- unanimously read people saying they don't track worth a darn…and the handful that love them admit to not playing with the CDS
Zeiss- no locking turrets and the capped windage turrets are plastic and known to cross thread and strip.
Nightforce-heavy, but the 2-10 could fit the bill. Made in Japan, doesn't have a duplex/German #4 or similar reticle like I'm looking for.
Vortex- in my opinion has cruddy reticle options for this scope and also made in Japan.

My question is, Is there a scope out there for the hunter who wants accurate tracking, locking turrets, traditional reticle options, illuminated, and doesn't weigh more than the rifle itself? The Leupold fits the hills if they could get their tracking under control. I've been going over this in my head for a month now and cannot settle or find one that I'm happy with. Can anyone shed some light on an optic I'm unaware of? Thanks!

Well, I have both the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 and the Leupold VX6 and I have not had one bit of issue with either. Neither of mine are illuminated by the way. I had the dial made for the VX6 and have been very impressed so far, which is probably 6-7 years and have had the SHV for about 8-9 years years now and other than being heavy, am just as happy with it. The SHV is very "busy" when looking through it and it did take some getting used to as it was my first long range scope, so for simplicity, which fits me better, I give my nod to the VX6. That didn't really shed any new light for you but was really trying to put your mind at ease somewhat, on two that you mention here.

I have had great luck with Burris XTR IIIs, and I have 1 XTR II that has been just as solid. Glass in The XTR II is good, but not on par with the XTR III. Tracking has been spot on for both. have also have a couple of Sig Tango 4s that have been solid. Most all my scopes are FFP. My .02

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. It's greatly appreciated and taken into consideration.

7STWNUT- I have looked at the Leicas a bit! But didn't see any models that check the boxes. Does Leica fall under a mother company with a larger name? I know Leica is a huge name and has been for years…but do they have ties with another German glass company?

Hello all!
I'm putting new glass on my rifle and considering all my options right now. I'm a long time shooter but the brands are so unpredictable nowadays I feel as if you don't immediately know you're getting a good product from brands like Leupold, Zeiss, Leica…anymore. Granted they all have budget models and I would expect them to perform as such. But I'm seeing a surge of people thoroughly dissatisfied with $1500 optics. That's a large chunk of money!
For reference, I've been eyeing up the VX6HD, Zeiss V4, Nightforce SHV, Vortex Razor LHT…etc. Basically the majority of big names in optics. And not a one of them embodies what I desire for an optic.
Leupold- unanimously read people saying they don't track worth a darn…and the handful that love them admit to not playing with the CDS
Zeiss- no locking turrets and the capped windage turrets are plastic and known to cross thread and strip.
Nightforce-heavy, but the 2-10 could fit the bill. Made in Japan, doesn't have a duplex/German #4 or similar reticle like I'm looking for.
Vortex- in my opinion has cruddy reticle options for this scope and also made in Japan.

My question is, Is there a scope out there for the hunter who wants accurate tracking, locking turrets, traditional reticle options, illuminated, and doesn't weigh more than the rifle itself? The Leupold fits the hills if they could get their tracking under control. I've been going over this in my head for a month now and cannot settle or find one that I'm happy with. Can anyone shed some light on an optic I'm unaware of? Thanks!
I agree with you for my applications the Nightforce is a bit heavy. I have a couple of Leupolds and have not had problems with tracking with either one a Mark V the other a VX3 Long range. When I have extra time at the range I do the horizontal and verticle tracking checks for grins because of the issues I have heard about. I have used Burris and Vortex products with good success (no tracking problems), Bushnel was a hit or miss for me on the tracking. I am more of a hunter that likes the Long range capability but typically just use my reticle and all my scopes now are FFP. I always wanted a Zeiss for the glass and weight but once I swapped everything over to FFP it was no longer an option. Good luck and have fun, it is always great to get a new toy and once it is setup and optimized, on your rifle and it shoots the way you want it to. I love the feeling when you can say, yea I like it! now lets go hunting.

Thanks blvette75! I've been shooting this rifle for a few years now and it really does shoot well. I have a 31oz scope on it originally. Live and learn!!😁

I've been shooting Mark 5HDs and they have been rock solid. Perfect tracking. I just dropped a vx5 HD on a rifle and expect the same. Picked up a NX8 recently as well, tracks great but the eyebox is tight. If you jump into the mid 20's I'd look at a Mark5 but I wouldn't be scared off on leupold with tracking issues.

I have never had a problem with Leupold. Granted I have only been using them for around 40 years. I'm really wanting to change things up on my next purchase. Although I haven't tested one, the Leica Amplus 6 seems to be an amazing scope for the $$. It is SFP an offers illuminated reticles. Weight is reasonable at around 25 ounces. Personally I am leaning heavily toward the March F 3-24x52 for my next purchase. I don't want to spend that much coin on a scope, but it checks the boxes for me.

I have never had a problem with Leupold. Granted I have only been using them for around 40 years. I'm really wanting to change things up on my next purchase. Although I haven't tested one, the Leica Amplus 6 seems to be an amazing scope for the $$. It is SFP an offers illuminated reticles. Weight is reasonable at around 25 ounces. Personally I am leaning heavily toward the March F 3-24x52 for my next purchase. I don't want to spend that much coin on a scope, but it checks the boxes for me.
I looked at the Amplus 6 a little also. It does not a have a zero stop, in case you weren't aware of that. That an immediate ono for me.

I had 4 leupold VX5 & VX6 HD's and 3 Mark 5's. I never had an issue. But I do have a very close buddy that has had 2 VX5HD's and a Mark 5 fail on him. Also had 2 zeiss V4's. They were solid for me as well. Nx8 was also a good scope.

What is your weight limit roughly? Do you really need true locking elevation and windage?