Bases

fredmb

A beginner question I'm sure, but I'm looking at bases for my NF scope, it's going on a Weatherby Accumark, and not sure if I need a 20 MOA base or what not. I was looking at the Talley bases and I have an option for what I guess is a 0 MOA and a 20 MOA. Can anybody point this beginner in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Good luck getting any help/advice here Fredmb, you may get more help on other sites but not likely, I'm sure this attitude towards rookies is pervasive

Without knowing specifics on what you want to do what cal. shooting and such, it is a little hard to answer. I will say this I beleive and it is only my opinon most guys go with a 20moa rail including myself.

Welcome to site.

Dancrokett why the attitude?

HA! Fair enough. I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks anywho.

I am in the same boat as you, but from what i have been able to glean from the various sites is that you need a 20 MOA base if you want to shoot long range, 600-800yds. and more, because most scopes run out of elevation before you see the target. I think you need to get the elevation specs for the scope you want, then get the ballistics for the caliber you are shooting. from what i understand most bullets drop more than what most scopes can adjust to at long range and a 20 moa base gets you back in the ball park. Now this comes from someone who has never shot a rifle so take it for what it's worth!

Ahhh. That kind of makes sense. Thanks for the info. So much new info to learn! A bit overwhelming at times. East coaster originally so all I could use for deer hunting was slugs out of a shotgun and my bow. So you could imagine ballistics was not quite as important. But this is a hell of a lot of fun to learn.

So I looked at the stats on my scope. It's a Nightforce, and I have 27.7 mil of elevation on it. I'm shooting a .300 Wby mag. If I throw a 20 moa base on it, does it do exactly that, give me 20 moa more elevation to the scope? Any and all info is welcomed. Thanks again!

Ahhh. That kind of makes sense. Thanks for the info. So much new info to learn! A bit overwhelming at times. East coaster originally so all I could use for deer hunting was slugs out of a shotgun and my bow. So you could imagine ballistics was not quite as important. But this is a hell of a lot of fun to learn.

So I looked at the stats on my scope. It's a Nightforce, and I have 27.7 mil of elevation on it. I'm shooting a .300 Wby mag. If I throw a 20 moa base on it, does it do exactly that, give me 20 moa more elevation to the scope? Any and all info is welcomed. Thanks again!

that's the way i understand it,

Go to you tube and search mil-dot and MOA, there are lots of tutorials on rifles and equipment

Unless you plan to shoot farther than 1,200 yards you won't need an elevated base for your rifle. The Nightforce scopes have 100 moa (50 up and 50 down) of internal adjutment. At sea level, my 300 WSM is about 50 moa low at 1,200 yards. Very few people shoot that far and far fwer ought to be (me included). If you are shooting at higher elevations, tings get even better (i.e. you need even less moa adjustment. HTH.

Depends on the caliber and scope (elevation), but a 20 moa rail as stated might be necessary for shooting past 1000yds. I have a 300 RUM with a 16x Nikon scope mounted straight and have enough elevation to shoot at 600yds.

Unless you plan to shoot farther than 1,200 yards you won't need an elevated base for your rifle. The Nightforce scopes have 100 moa (50 up and 50 down) of internal adjutment. At sea level, my 300 WSM is about 50 moa low at 1,200 yards. Very few people shoot that far and far fwer ought to be (me included). If you are shooting at higher elevations, tings get even better (i.e. you need even less moa adjustment. HTH.

So a NF scope can handle 600 inches of bullet drop at 1200yds? 1moa@1200yds = 12 inches x 50 moa =600in? so as long as you have a caliber that drops less than 600 inches @1200yds. you are good to go with a flat base?

I have a HDMR and it has 34.4 mils of total elevation, so at 1000yds this scope is good for 612 inches? (1 mil @ 1k= 36in x17mil=612inches?) So with a 7mm mag I could have easily gotten away with a flat base?

That depends on WHICH NF you get. The 3.5- 15 and 5.5 - 22...yes...100 moa. 8-32......65 moa. The 12x42....no where close....45 moa.

So what was asked earlier..... More info.....bullet selection and speed, scope selection, and what you are going to do with it....hunting...paper...?

I am in the same boat as you, but from what i have been able to glean from the various sites is that you need a 20 MOA base if you want to shoot long range, 600-800yds. and more, because most scopes run out of elevation before you see the target. I think you need to get the elevation specs for the scope you want, then get the ballistics for the caliber you are shooting. from what i understand most bullets drop more than what most scopes can adjust to at long range and a 20 moa base gets you back in the ball park. Now this comes from someone who has never shot a rifle so take it for what it's worth!

Ive even read that if one doesnt intend on shooting more than 600 yards that they dont need a rail....which makes sense. Ive used 15 MOA rails on my last 4 rifles as the chances of me getting a shot longer than 600 yds would be like wining the Powerball.........Which if I did that...Id BUY myself a 1200-1400 yrd range...:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.