Bedding Bases

DixieFreedom

The Ken Farrel base I bought came with instructions suggesting bedding the base to the action.

Do any of you do that? Is it something worthwile on a varmint rifle? Or is it just a target shooters fetish?

marc357

I thought I would forego the bedding thing, until I mounted it and found quite a bit of "sponge" with the two middle screws.

The front and rear snugged down nice, but the middle ones sponged, the last little bit of tightening, so much you could almost watch it flex..

Epoxy bedding the base is really a trivial operation, and well worth it- you're only going to do it once, and you really want the 100% contact it gives you between base and receiver.

DixieFreedom

After the epoxy bedding, how do you undo it if you change your mind on bases? Does it become a more or less permanent set up?

HoytemanPA

I put release agent on the action and rough up the bases. After set I remove, clean/drill out the mounting holes in the base, wash off the release agent and retighten the base down. It is still removable, fits better, and removes the sponge that Marc mentioned.

Invicta39

I stopped by Badger Ord. in Kansas City to but my base and rings, and they suggest that I used Loctite green or red on the base. They told me to clean the parts with a degreaser and apply a thin film of Loctite. The main reason is to prevent rust. Hope this helps a bit.

Pete Lincoln

I use either devcon or accraglas to bed the base to the rifle, some actions tend to have some wide tollerances in dimentions, a little bedding compound under the base helps take up the difference and ensures you don't warp the base (just remember not to screw the base down 100% tight until the bedding has cured unless you know that your reciever is 100% true.)and it prevents the base reacting to the reciever and prevents any water getting in causeing rust.
Pete

Budman

Pete;
Please explain how you know with 2 piece bases that they are both level? TIA

dbhostler

I use Brownells Steel Bed on all bases. Apply release agent to the base and reciever if you plan to remove it in the future.
db

Pete Lincoln

Bud man,, i use a straight edge mate, usualy the side of an engineers steel rule.. and i use 1 piece bases where possible. Pete

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce