bedding scope base?

...not trying to split hairs, but unless the action is very nearly perfect (not likely for a Remington) & the bases also, there will be some stress when tightening; the action will be stressed proportionate to the amount of "gap"... bedding material fills the voids to provide full contact between the bases & the receiver... the bedding material stops the "compression" of the receiver and/or bases when tightening; same reason for bedding underneath the action, even on an aluminum bedding block, which is probably "true", but the action usually is not, so "skim bedding" fills the void and you have a solid platform to absorb the stresses (no flexing or movement between components)... ideally you're looking for as close to 100% contact as you can get... as always, it's up to the shooter to decide if it's worth the trouble or not... good shooting

Guys just so you know I am not picking just trying to understand. As I said I have seen it done and even done it myself when there is noticeable movement.

My question was do you really feel there is a benefit where there is no movement between base and action. I do understand the need for bedding a rifle to stock and to what I call "level" the bases when they show signs of movement or being unlevel or with two piece base when they do not align.

Please do not feel as I am attacking you, just questioning whether you really feel there is a benefit. I take it you do it with all your rifles and wonder if you really see a difference? Which you must, by how important you feel this step is.

I have not really noticed a differance and if you have just wondering what that may have been, as I stated I may have over looked something.

I have a very open mind and willing to learn from others efforts thus the questions. Thanks.

Thanks,
Ben

Shadowman... I doubt that you would really notice any difference at all in bedding or not bedding the bases, if, like you say "there is no <font color="red"> </font> PERCEPTABLE movement" between the bases &amp; receiver... it's just the personal satisfaction of knowing you've done all you could do to get the most solid platform possible, but, once again, it would seem redundant if you didn't see the need... I just personally would not assemble expensive tactical equipment/scope on a Remington receiver without doing everything I could to "de-stress" the platform, including bedding the mount... a good example to think about is the Remington 40XB-BR model receiver; this receiver is "outside turned" from the factory to help with bedding issues, top &amp; bottom of receiver... just food for thought...really enjoy your input on this subject...good shooting to ya!

[ QUOTE ]
the scope base is heavy and adds lots of strenth to your action.. it is in fact so strong that it will warp your action (or bind ) if you dont bed it. no longer than it takes and no harder than it is i bed all of mine . no need for undue stress in the action... put the bedding on the base spray your action with release agent start all the screws in the action then tighten one up instead of putting something heavy on it
just my opinion...
Brien

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea...a 3/8-1/2" thick base will BEND a 1.250+ diameter action...RIIIIIGHT.

base will comform to the action...then the rings will conform to the base...then you will have ugly ring marks on your scope.

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Re: bedding scope base

If it's a stock 700 you should also check the scope mount holes to make sure they are indeed true and parallel to bore line. I have one that had all four holes off, causing the rail to point the front of a Leupold M1-16X off towards 1 o'clock. Had to TIG-weld the holes, re-bore, and re-tap.

Remington 700s are NOT outside turned and trued, so if you have a good, true rail with holes out of line (or a thick, sprung rail) you can stress the action.

Shadowman,

It's just a miracle if a base(s) precisely mates with the action the way it's "intended" to. I mean it's just dumb luck if it does, period. Bed it and be sure it fits. Using a dial indicator is the only way to measure the flex (deflection) caused by the misalignments while screws are torqued. Depending on which screw(s) are torqued and where the deflection is measured, this is what tells you where the gaps are that need to be filled with bedding. It also tells you which screws can and can not be tightened during the bedding process without inducing flex into the base. And no, the base will do the flexing and the action will not. That's not to say the action isn't becoming stressed as a result, just that measurable flex is not taking place in anything but the base itself. Most of the time the amount of flex is quite alot too, either bowing the base and bringing the rings closer together at the top or the opposite, not to mention twisting the base.

I try to find a screw to tighten that secures the base with no induced flex and hopefully it's a screw in the front that helps keep a more forward cant to the base allowing more internal reticle adjustment. In this case a rear screw is just used to align the base, screwed in and stopped just shy of deflecting it any... of course an indicator is used again during this procedure. The base is secured to the action just as it will be bedded, rings and scope attached after a light check with a lap bar. Scope internals are zeroed then rifle is carefully boresighted to confirm this setup will indeed work and vertical adjustment is in the lower range (I like 5-10 MOA off the bottom in most cases) and that windage is very near zero and acceptable. Remove and bed it.

Is there a measured accuracy improvement? Depends. I'm not willing to test that on every rifle to find out, and by how much. The very little time it takes to bed one is worth it knowing everything is true, solid &amp; stress free... as is the whole rifle.

Harold Vaughn's book "Rifle Accuracy Facts" will give you even a better understanding of this and a whole lot more pertaining to it.

JB100br wrote: Yea...a 3/8-1/2" thick base will BEND a 1.250+ diameter action...RIIIIIGHT.

If it were a solid bar 1.250+, then I would agree with you, but it has uneven cutouts and lots of material removed in an uneven pattern which would definitely increase the odds of the action flexing or twisting. Remingtons definitely are not a stiff action by todays standards. There is nothing to lose, and only potential to gain by bedding the bases so why not?

[ QUOTE ]
JB100br wrote: Yea...a 3/8-1/2" thick base will BEND a 1.250+ diameter action...RIIIIIGHT.

If it were a solid bar 1.250+, then I would agree with you, but it has uneven cutouts and lots of material removed in an uneven pattern which would definitely increase the odds of the action flexing or twisting. Remingtons definitely are not a stiff action by todays standards. There is nothing to lose, and only potential to gain by bedding the bases so why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on the nothing to lose. I bed all my bases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But still a base AINT gonna bend an action -- your gonna have to prove that one to me with numbers.

Swiss cheesed action or not, I'm not believing that without some numbers to back it up.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.