Barrel weight for a 22-243

Big Jake Duke

The next project is a 22-243. My question is what would be the minimum weight/taper at 24" to be able to shoot small strings and still be practical. Thinking of a cool litttle PBR/ long range varmint rig. Looking for the balance of weight/stiffness/accuracy and Practical length.

Thanks

My favorite contour for all around use is the Sendero contour. It will be stiff with the 24" barrel and not be overly heavy. If that is too much, look into a Light Palma or something around .750 at the muzzle.

my 22-243 ackly is a benchmark #3 24" I think its about .65 or .68 at the muzzle. I don't shoot a lot of strings with it but it is sure nice to carry for hunting! Comes in at 10LB with bipod, scope, loaded mag, suppressor, and sling.

morning, I prefer the AI. configuration. the cartridge has less stretch in the shoulder to

neck area. I am building a 22-243AI or a 22-250AI. Not much difference. I have a lot

243 and 22-250 brass. THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

How about twist rate? I would like to shoot the heavier 75-90 gr bullet. Berger recommends a 1-6 for their 90 gr. At these speeds ( 3300ish?) is that fast a twist needed or a good idea? Most barrel makers go to 1-7.

I have no problem shooting 90 gr bergers in my 8 twist at 3400 fps... I'd never go to a faster twist.... the faster you push them... the less twist you need

That was my understanding also. You have a 26" do you think 24" will have the same velocity in such a small case? 3400 sounds awesome- and worth the fire forming!

24" with speed...that would only be a guess on my part. Not sure why you would want a wildcat to shoot less than it's potential. what is the point of having a shorter barrel?

I have bigger heavier rifles- such as my - 243 AI with a 28" truck axle barrel, I was thinking this would be a coyote hunting/ PBR rifle. I just have a different intended use for it. 24" stiff barrel with good handling characteristics and an awesome cartridge is what I was looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.