243 22" barrel

arrow

In the process of building a 243 on a 22" broughton barrel. I was hoping to shoot 105 berger vld's out of it. I was wondering if this barrel is too short to really get these heavier bullets up to speed. I know longer barrel would be better but im set on 22". Also i was considering 243 ai. But once again, is this barrel too short to see any real improvements over the winchester? thanks

I'm currently using a 243 win 26" Shilen barrel with 105 vld's. I have two loads using H4350 and H1000. The 4350 gets around 3040fps and the H1000 is getting 2960 fps. I think that a 22" would be fine if you stay with medium powder like H4350, probably see around 2900 fps + with 105's.

In the process of building a 243 on a 22" broughton barrel. I was hoping to shoot 105 berger vld's out of it. I was wondering if this barrel is too short to really get these heavier bullets up to speed. I know longer barrel would be better but im set on 22". Also i was considering 243 ai. But once again, is this barrel too short to see any real improvements over the winchester? thanks

You may not reach top speed, but it will be fast enough to get the benefit of the BC. The 243 AI will get you more velocity, but it's up to you on whether you think you'll need it. The 243 Win will push them hard enough. The more concerning issue is twist rate. Berger recommends an 8 twist to stabilize a 105. Most factory rifles have either a 9 or 10 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.