Barrel vises.....likes and/or dislikes

I have the Viper as well and like it for my limited scope of use. If I were a gunsmith playing with barrels daily then I would want something more premium like the SAC. For me installing or removing a barrel every six months to a year it is plenty good. I use the toilet paper tube method mentioned above because I couldn't get the results I wanted with scrap leather. Really have to crank the vise down but when it grabs it is solid. Does not feel like the bolts or nuts are stripping or anything.
A business card works great to with that vise

"The one we made too good never broke"...
5E42253C-7101-4EE0-9E1A-83318669541A.jpeg
4BAFDFEE-47C2-49A9-9465-2DE152A48CC7.jpeg
2"x3" steel blocks, 4 1/2" bolts
aluminum split bushings, mold them with bedding or even cerrosafe in a hurry
use drywall tape between bushings and barrel, no slip-no mar
tight with 6" long allen wrench, follow with proper breaker bar as needed. No fuss.

When I watched Gordy Gritters put a 3' breaker bar to the bolts on his barrel vise and then put his foot on the bench to get more torque, I knew the ones I saw for sale were not what I wanted.
Takeoff (Remingtons) do well with a good sharp smack on the action wrench...3 lb hammer is not too much, and the impact/shock does wonders.

Last edited:
When I watched Gordy Gritters put a 3' breaker bar to the bolts on his barrel vise and then put his foot on the bench to get more tourque, I knew the ones I saw for sale were not what I wanted.
Takeoff (Remingtons) do well with a good sharp smack on the action wrench...3 lb hammer is not too much, and the impact/shock does wonders.
Snug a 2x4 under the action to floor, works well in spinning the action when you whack the wrench.