Barrel vises.....likes and/or dislikes

ARlife4me

Post pics if you like! I've been reading reviews about barrel vises and the issues the reviewer's are having. Some state they don't get enough holding/clamping pressure/force due from either the bushings are slipping, not quit the best fit/contact barrel-bushing or bushing-vise. Some have a 4 bolt and other have a 2 bolt clamping vise. Bushings are either 1 piece with gap or 2 piece. Some use leather for a better hold, lead shims or rosin. Bigger bolt with fine threads are not necessarily going too help hold. 4, 5 or more bolts might not get the job done either. Using a hydraulic press.........well I'm not sure that would/could be a good decision. With several manufacturers having tunnel vision thinking has been a mediocre improvement, if you call it that much. What vises have you tried in the past that were an almost total failure and either used your style of ingenuity to remedy the issue or just returned for a refund?

I use the Wheeler barrel vise from Brownells. This is used with the supplied block of wood.

Before use, I pat down the barrel and a piece of leather that wraps around the barrel before inserting it in the block of wood. No movement or scarring.

I use mine for my two switch barrel specialty pistols. My vise is mounted to a large piece of aluminum angle iron and then the angle iron is placed in my workbench vise. This all works very well and easy to setup and put away.

IMG_0877.jpg

Using a hydraulic press.........well I'm not sure that would/could be a good decision
Nothing wrong with using a hydraulic press- but you still need the blocks/bushings to use with it...

Brownell's is bulletproof (but out of stock), the SAC Bravo is reasonably priced and well made.
What you choose should depend on your expected use- that said, if $$ is no object, buy once/cry once.

Pulling factory and milsurp barrels requires more clamping force and surface contact area.
The Viper vise is "universal" (no bushings needed), and should work for most applications.

We have had several over the years. Still have a NIB shown made by Wheeler over 25+ years. It is a Beast and can crank any barrel off. If the barrel doesn't come off the action - either one will twist. Then we have some that were made for us by Bob Pastor - "The Viper". These are smaller and have them on our work benches and take with use to the range. They work well. A trick with these is to take am empty toilet paper roll and wrap around the barrel then put in the vise

Attachments

• Barrel Vise - Viper.jpg
    Barrel Vise - Viper.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Barrel Vise Viper Side.jpg
    Barrel Vise Viper Side.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 269
  • Barrel Vise Wheeler base.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler base.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Barrel Vise Wheeler.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 268
  • Barrel Vise Wheeler1.jpg
    Barrel Vise Wheeler1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 249
I'll play. I own 3 different ones. This old one was the one I used before on benchrest rifles. Lately I had to do a couple of rebarrels on friends' factory installed 700s.

Clamping the barrels with a one piece top was a practice in futility, even with the 4 clamping bolts. I don't own multiple sleeves, so I came up with this set up. I found some aluminum barstock and replaced the one piece to with 2 pieces. I slotted the holes to allow the pieces to follow the barrel contour somewhat.

What I end up is like having 2 vises clamping on the barrel. I cut the front piece center slots two different depths so I will just flip it for better barrel fit.

Picture is just for demo, Winchester 70 target rifle.

20220315_231854.jpg

I have the Viper as well and like it for my limited scope of use. If I were a gunsmith playing with barrels daily then I would want something more premium like the SAC. For me installing or removing a barrel every six months to a year it is plenty good. I use the toilet paper tube method mentioned above because I couldn't get the results I wanted with scrap leather. Really have to crank the vise down but when it grabs it is solid. Does not feel like the bolts or nuts are stripping or anything.