Who makes the best BARREL and ACTION VISES???

Thanks for the responses. I've been looking at the Brownells wrenches and vises. Good to hear they work well. .....working on a Rem 700, 98 Mauser, and a 1903 Springfield. Just for info

I make my own barrel vises and action wrenches.
The MacFarland book on gunsmithing shows a action wrench design that gave me some problems.

I found it puts a bind on Mausers. That can scuff the blueing. I need some support on top and bottom in the same cross sectional plane orthogonal to the bolt bore. To remedy this, I made a relief cut in the action wrench for the recoil lug to slide further into the wrench.

Attachments

• MacfarlandActionWrenchDrawingScan.jpg
    MacfarlandActionWrenchDrawingScan.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 121
  • actionwrenchwithandwithoutrecoillugreleifcutb5-10-2014.jpg
    actionwrenchwithandwithoutrecoillugreleifcutb5-10-2014.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 98
I make my own barrel vises and action wrenches.
The MacFarland book on gunsmithing shows a action wrench design that gave me some problems.

I found it puts a bind on Mausers. That can scuff the blueing. I need some support on top and bottom in the same cross sectional plane orthogonal to the bolt bore. To remedy this, I made a relief cut in the action wrench for the recoil lug to slide further into the wrench.

My experience with V block designs has not been good either. What I found was that if you tightened the wrench enough to break loose some actions there was damage to the finish and in some cases even locking the threads even tighter.

I use Aluminum bushings that fit the barrel perfectly (And even buy bushing blanks that I can bore to fit special contours)and with the full circle action wrench (For round actions) I use .003 thousandths shims (Copper or brass)to go between the wrench and the action as a buffer and it
grips the action without excessive tightening. if the copper/brass does mark the bluing simply use
bore solvent to clean it off.

For the actions with the fixed recoil lug (Like the Weatherby, Winchester, Mauser and so forth there are wrench heads for those specific actions that work perfectly.

I have only found one action barrel combo that I could not break loose, and had to relief cut the barrel to action fit to break it loose because someone had used Loctite when they assembled it.

I love making my on tools, (At least 70% of my special tools are home made)but sometimes the right tool for the job may be a purchased special tool and is better in the long run than a homemade tool.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Just as there are a myriad of ways to fit/chamber a barrel, there are at least as many designs of action wrenches. I tried some of Brownells wrench heads, when I didn't think I had time to make what I needed, and they were kinda' "iffy". The one for the 788 didn't work at all. The one I bought for Browning A-Bolt was OK. I'm using the same wrench (and barrel vice) that I made from prints supplied when I went to gunsmithing school, 20+ years ago. I've used Delrin, aluminum, and steel for barrel bushings for the vice, and keep 1 1/2" diameter material in these types on hand to make another set of barrel bushings, when needed. I've probably got/made three dozen sets of barrel bushings, ya' always need something different. As I've used many different actions for customs I've built, I've had to make a couple 'adaptors" for my wrench and I've had to make several "in-line" wrenches to fit some of these customs. There's 'no end' to the tools needed to do decent work. Brownells gets enough of my money. If I can and have time, I'll make what I need. If you haven't the time or the means to make, I guess Brownells wrench & vice are as good as any , for 'store bought' tools.

Actionwrenchactionbarrelcolletandbarrelvise.jpg

On the barrel vise, I standardized on 1.5" round Aluminum for making the bushings.

When I get up around 600 foot pounds of torque to take off old military barrels, I was using rosin from Brownells. Then I used powder sugar, just as good. Then the wife told me i could get the same coefficient of friction from corn starch. That works too. To tighten the barrel vise I need 3/4" drive socket wrench with 2' handle and clamp with 7/8-14 threaded rod. I have snapped #5 bolts in 1/2-13. The above pic is pre snap.

Barrelvise12-7-2011.jpg

Updated pic with 7/8-14 threaded rod for enough clamping force on the collet for 600 foot pounds on the action wrench.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.