Barrel vises.....likes and/or dislikes

On another note, why is there no longer a "message" function? Anyone else having this problem?

Hmm, the option to PM you is still not popping up.

You could try posting in this thread;

@Chris will see it there

I'm not looking to buy, just checking designs, looking for improvements and thinking outside the box or build a better mouse trap thinking. I have knowledge from mechanics, metal working and mechanical engineering. I'm just a farmer by trait, but have mad skills. I take what I learn from all places and roll it into 1.

I'm not looking to buy, just checking designs, looking for improvements and thinking outside the box or build a better mouse trap thinking. I have knowledge from mechanics, metal working and mechanical engineering. I'm just a farmer by trait, but have mad skills. I take what I learn from all places and roll it into 1.

If you are looking for inspiration, this is one of the nicest setups I have seen posted on here;

If you are looking for inspiration, this is one of the nicest setups I have seen posted on here;

Wow that's quite the post with those heavy DYI duty barrel vises. These days you have to worry about rifle manufactures putting LocTite on the threads. I had (still have) a Rock River Arms Fred E Coyote Special AR. Last year I need to take off the Flash Suppressor that RRA installed. I was having a hell of a time and called RRA. The tech told me that they use LokTite and I would need to heat it to break down the Loktite. Still would not come off so I sent it in. After RRA received it they call to tell me that they put a NEW Barrel on it. I asked the tech why and he said that when he tried to remove the flash suppressor with some heat it still would not come off so they tried to muscle it off with a longer bar. He said that they ended up twisting the barrel and still would not come off. Well at least I have a brand new barrel on my coyote rifle. Only shot about 50 to break it in. Shoots in the low 3s. When I do barrel work I only use anti seize and use a torque wrench. When I do use Loktite - I use the Blue for scope *& action screws.
The last thing you want is to mess up a $1,800 Action and $500 to $800 barrel.

I have a RRA 5.66 that I took a brake off using a mini torch for heat. I might have just been lucky. It had a bull barrel compared to the Fred Eichler barrel being thinner. It was still Lough getting off. I didn't use a barrel vise, just a mag block.