Barrel twist

coues7

I'm having a new rifle built and need to decide on the twist rate for the barrel

Contour: Remington Varminter fluted
Caliber: 300 Win Mag
Bullet Weight: 180gr and heavier
Barrel Length: 24" + Vais brake

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a new rifle built and need to decide on the twist rate for the barrel

Contour: Remington Varminter fluted
Caliber: 300 Win Mag
Bullet Weight: 180gr and heavier
Barrel Length: 24" + Vais brake

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

10".

If you are going to use 220 or heavier, 8".

1+ with CatShooter. I have a 30" 30 cal barrel coming from Rock Creek to shoot 200 gr and up, specifically the 265 & 290 gr Wildcats. They advised me to go with the 8.3 twist thin land. Kirby said the 180 AB should hold together and shoot okay but probably not much lighter (mine will be a 300RUM--lots of RPM). Who needs the lighter slugs anyway? Good luck with your project!

The 1-10 will work with up to the 220gr SMK and 210gr Berger . like verybody else sadi if you plan to go with the heavy bullets like the 240 SMK and Wildcat's then I'd get a 1-8 , even though some guys have good luck with the 240SMK out of a 1-10.

But me personaly , I would change 2 things with your setup
1) I'd use at least a 26" barrel , in case you want to rechamber to a bigger mag later or set it back later. It'll give the 300 win another 150fps with the heavy bullets and slower powders.
2) I'd use a differant brake , the Vias is a great brake but if you ever end up shooting from the prone position your not gonna be happy with the crap it blows up on you , I'd use a baffle style , their more effecient anyway

Hi all,
I just found this forum, and this is my first post. I've got some information about required twist rates for long range bullets on my web page
On the left, under "Understanding Long Range Bullets", click on "Part 1: The Nature of Scale". Scroll down to near the end.
Hope this helps,
-Bryan

Bryan, Just read your new "Twist vs Sg" posting with appreciation and much interest. A few additional ponters for your considrration and inclusion: 1. I usually start a rifle project with the intent of the rifle then the best bullet for that intent. 2. With the candidate bullet, I then order the barrel specifics as to twist and groove specifications. 3. In the case of Berger uld's I use their suggested twist as in 1-10 ( way off the "logical" meter ) for their new 120gr 6.5mm. 4. The twist should be compatable with the desired effect on the target. For example a new Mil 6.8mm round will only have a Sg of 1.1 or so which is just stable and will probably tumble on contact--not a bad thing unless one is on the receiving end---. 5. The "Where's the Beef" set like my son, who eats all they shoot, wants penetration with expansion which may require a faster twist. 6. The ultimate accuracy shooters are at the ragged edge of stablility attempting to minimize dispersion through a slower twist which may find that ( Per Shillen chart) a bullet at the raged edge of stability at cool dry SL conditions may NOT be stable in the hot, less dense conditions at a higher elevation shoot. I happen to use a Sg of 1`.35 as my baseline but we are now seperating black pepper from fly droppings--. Your work is first rate and I intend only to add to your good posings in hopes that all will benefit. Well done, Sir!!! Keep it up!!!Cordially, Overbore

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.