Barrel twist

devildogg

Hey guys im building a rifle and was wondering what your thoughts on ideal barrel twist. Im building a 243 win its prinary use will be coyte huntin and some deer huntin and some antelope im wanting to shoot something around 70gr for coyotes and something around the 95-100gr for deer. Im laening towards a 1-9 twist what do you think will this make a difference in barrel fouling where as my barrel will foul faster with a faster twist and will it be touchy to work up loads for with a faster twist. Or should i go with a 1-10 twist all and any input would be appreciated thank you.

Hey guys im building a rifle and was wondering what your thoughts on ideal barrel twist. Im building a 243 win its prinary use will be coyte huntin and some deer huntin and some antelope im wanting to shoot something around 70gr for coyotes and something around the 95-100gr for deer. Im laening towards a 1-9 twist what do you think will this make a difference in barrel fouling where as my barrel will foul faster with a faster twist and will it be touchy to work up loads for with a faster twist. Or should i go with a 1-10 twist all and any input would be appreciated thank you.

I used to shoot two 6mm's that had a 1:9 twist and a 1:9.5 twist barrels. Niether shot 70 grain bullets all that fantastic, but the Sierra 80 grain Blitz was almost bug holes (I think a ten twist would have been even better). They also shot the 85 grain Hornadays very well. Looks like they'd also shoot the 100 grain SST's well (on paper). I now shoot a 6/250AI that has a 1:8 twist barrel. It won't shoot the 70 grain bullets all that well, but once again likes the 80 and 85 grain bullets. Most of the time I shoot 105 grain bullets in that barrel.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.