Barrel Twist??

Dalebow

Goint to have a Mod 70 put in Mc Millan stock and new barrel. Factory twist for 300wsm is typically 1:10, I will be shooting 180gr TTSX. Ive seen some barrels with 1:11, 1:13 so what do you reccomend and Thanks
Dale

When I shot 1K BR, I used a 1x11 twist 300 WSM and it stabilized 220 grain SMKs quite nicely. My current hunting rifle in 300 WSM also has a 1x11 and it is scary accurate with 168 TTSXs.

You should go with a fast enough twist to stabilize the longest/heaviest/highest BC bullet that you intend to shoot.

The 210g Berger VLD is right up there and they indicate that a 1:11 twist will stabilize it.

1:11" should also be sufficient for the 180g TTSX.

If you think you might want to shoot the 240g SMK, then you should go with a 1:10".

In my opinion, the problems associated with over-stabilizing are less than the problems of under-stabilizing.

-- richard

Goint to have a Mod 70 put in Mc Millan stock and new barrel. Factory twist for 300wsm is typically 1:10, I will be shooting 180gr TTSX. Ive seen some barrels with 1:11, 1:13 so what do you reccomend and Thanks
Dale

I would go with a 1 in 10 or a 1 in 9 for the 300 WSM.

I have not tried a 1 in 11 twist but I do know that the 1 in 10 twist works.

J E CUSTOM

thanks guys, gunwerks was reccomending 1:13 for their berger ammo and that seemed a bit much to me, I have had great luck with 1:10.

thanks guys, gunwerks was reccomending 1:13 for their berger ammo and that seemed a bit much to me, I have had great luck with 1:10.

Just another thought/opinion.

When you build a rifle around a particular bullet you run the risk of the barrel/rifle not liking it
and then what do you do.

I have seen this happen with special twist,throats,neck diameters and free bore all designed
for "ONE" bullet. This practice is very risky in my opinion because you can end up with a good
shooting rifle or a turd that cant be made to shoot with any bullet.

I know there are others that will disagree and that's fine , if they are willing to risk spending
all that money, that is there choice.

If a rifle is assembled correctly and has a quality barrel with the right twist for bullet weights
to be used It should shoot well below 1/2 MOA.

Using conventional methods and twist rates, I have had many rifles shoot well under 1/4 MOA
and some under 1/10 MOA (These are Hunting rifles not bench rest).

Just something to consider.

J E CUSTOM

[...]This practice is very risky in my opinion because you can end up with a good shooting rifle or a turd that cant be made to shoot with any bullet.[...]

I have owned enough turds. Hence, my aversion to slow twist barrels for long range rifles.

-- richard

A 1x10 is always a decent choice for a 30 cal, and it is better to be err on the side of faster twist, especially with a hunting rifle where the bullet needs to be stable enough after impact to penetrate. However, realize that the ultimate in accuracy is found in the slowest twist that will stabilize the bullet.

A 10 twist will be GTG from 150 grainers to 230s. I fired the 240 SMK from a 10 twist 300Ultra, it seemed to stabilize fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.