Barrel stamping

RCMSTER

So, I have a Remington 700 with a Brux barrel on it. The barrel is stainless, while the action is factory coated black. I would like to give the rifle a makeover in aluma-hyde, but here's my question. The barrel is not stamped with the caliber, but rather, just has a decal with caliber designation. I guess that's fine as long as I have the rifle, but looking down the road, I think the barrel needs to be properly marked. Can I just use a number stamping set to stamp the caliber designation, or should I take it to a gunsmith and have them fix it up?

A gunsmith will have the proper punch and punch holders for a barrel. They know how to get the cartridge ID straight / parallel as well.
Some gunsmiths have the electro-chemical engravers as well that can do logos and different fonts. If that is the case they need a clean barrel "in the white" or blued. They need an electrical ground so it can't go through painted, alumahyde finishes.

Some gunsmiths (like me) have a pantogragh engraving machine for caliber/cartridge designation and other required info. On a SS barrel, many times I will coat the entire rifle, if that's what my client wants, and then engrave. The engraving shows up nicely. Stamping, with hand stamps, in a holder or not , can come out looking kinda' 'cheezy'. Some of those engraving machines are now CNC and some are the older manually operated (like mine is).

That would look nice having the contrast of the stainless under the coated barrel. Might have to search out who could do that for me. The gunsmith I use is awfully good, but he's also approaching 80 years of age, so not sure if he would/could do this project. Guess I'll have to ask.

A panto-graph engraver is the way to go. A lot of gunsmiths have them as do Trophy shops and jewelry stores. If you have a privately owned jewelry store in town that engraves silver bracelets and mugs and silver serving trays etc then the could probably fix you up. But they may ask you to bring it in after hours. Chain store types of jewelry shops wont likely have one. You'll need to find a shop that has a full size New Hermes engraver.

Well, that's an interesting idea that I never thought of. That's a really good idea.
You might get lucky.
I looked for a place to take barrels for this, and none of them had machines that could accommodate items the length of rifle barrels.
I just purchased a Cricut and will be using it to acid etch not just the caliber, but also company and/or customer custom logos.

A panto-graph engraver is the way to go. A lot of gunsmiths have them as do Trophy shops and jewelry stores. If you have a privately owned jewelry store in town that engraves silver bracelets and mugs and silver serving trays etc then the could probably fix you up. But they may ask you to bring it in after hours. Chain store types of jewelry shops wont likely have one. You'll need to find a shop that has a full size New Hermes engraver.
Yep. Have had that done a couple of times. Looks classy.