Barrel resale

Caleb85

I know factory barrels don't sell for much but I have an aftermarket barrel that shoots very well that I can't get anyone interested ? Do they not bring much either?

I know factory barrels don't sell for much but I have an aftermarket barrel that shoots very well that I can't get anyone interested ? Do they not bring much either?

Factory barrels are a pig in a Polk even if they are new. Chambers are normally the biggest problem with them. So if you can re chamber, sometimes you can get a good one .

The used aftermarket barrels are another problem because you have to take the word of the seller
as to what brand of barrel it is and also the round count. In addition to this is the chamber it's self.

I have found every type of un-SAMME chamber known to man that someone thought would do
magical things only to find out that it wouldn't and they sell the barrel as is. sometimes the Smith
places the change in spec. on the barrel ID for safety (Tight neck, short throat, special leade angle,
no free bore, ETC)but lots don't.

Also there is always the question "Why change out a good barrel" and you are relying on the seller to tell the truth.

So, Take off barrels of any kind are a hard sell (I use most of them for tooling) And some mention
using them for tomato stakes.

Good luck selling the barrels

J E CUSTOM

Factory barrels are a pig in a Polk even if they are new. Chambers are normally the biggest problem with them. So if you can re chamber, sometimes you can get a good one .

The used aftermarket barrels are another problem because you have to take the word of the seller
as to what brand of barrel it is and also the round count. In addition to this is the chamber it's self.

I have found every type of un-SAMME chamber known to man that someone thought would do
magical things only to find out that it wouldn't and they sell the barrel as is. sometimes the Smith
places the change in spec. on the barrel ID for safety (Tight neck, short throat, special leade angle,
no free bore, ETC)but lots don't.

Also there is always the question "Why change out a good barrel" and you are relying on the seller to tell the truth.

So, Take off barrels of any kind are a hard sell (I use most of them for tooling) And some mention
using them for tomato stakes.

Good luck selling the barrels

J E CUSTOM

Thank you!! Ya just took it off because I want a 22-250 AI really bad and it's the only action I had available. .I understand about " taking the sellers word" but what if I post groups the rifle shot and load data?

It's a Douglas
It's a used barrel,,,,, factory or otherwise. Used is used. Some will take a chance on used if the price is right (meaning a 'give-away), others won't . There's just too much used stuff out there thats for sale thats been "over used". So few are willing to buy, other than a give away. Pics or not!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.