Barrel recommendations

I'd second the thoughts on shooting out the tube you have first. 28 nosler isn't exactly known for its long life. Find a bullet that shoots good that works with a 9 twist, was reading the lead time for benchmark the other day....

Might be worth ordering what you want and still setting up for a smaller bullet either way. Barrel lead time + Smith lead time could easily be spent burning up the one you have.

Besides, each rifle to some degree or another is a system. Familiarity with them from even the wrong or perceived wrong bullets will help in a hunting situation. It's not like the 180s have a terrible ballistic profile. Dialing practice, trigger time and all that are skills that will transfer over to 195s.

Just seems a shame to not use up a barrel burner.

Barrels used with real long pointy 7mm bullets like the Berger 195 EOL Elite Hunter should have twists faster than 9. If the twist is not fast enough the bullet might wobble & slow down quick - Sg lower than 1.4.

Screenshot (583).png

Berger made this 7mm bullet to outperform other 7mm bullets, but it requires a real quick twist - 9 twist is sort of a standard for most 7mm rifles that are used with bullets weighing 160 grains or less. I shoot rodents with a 9 twist 7mm using the 139 Hornady SST that is real stubby compared to the Berger 195 EOL Elite Hunter.

I agree with everyone that suggested shooting out the one you have, or remove and sell/donate the one you have to a worthy recipient.

My perspective on it would lean toward removing it for the following reasons:
1. The cost in dollars/effort/patience of burning components and trying to replace them is tougher than finding a good quality aftermarket barrel.
2. I hear all this chatter about long lead times for barrels. To be honest, I have only found this to be true in the cases where people either only want to buy directly from the factory, or from one specific vendor, or when they only want to use a certain brand assuming that they are hands and arms above the rest (not true of any manufacturer), or were not willing budge a little on contour. Or they are only wanting to order from their gunsmith, who may or may not have all the search capability/willingness to reduce timeframes.
3. I built a 7 Sherm Max for a friend who lives in one of those states that does not allow bullets with any lead to be used for hunting. So, good bullets with high SD and good BC in monos require more twist than similar bullets that contain lead, so the 8 twist was much more desirable than the 9 twist.
4. If this is a hunting rig, typically lightweight is more desirable. Proof or carbon six seem to always be available, they are great barrels and I would tend to think that the heat dissipating characteristics of a carbon fiber barrel would be significantly beneficial to a cartridge that burns that much powder.
5. Don't be a sheep. Be a wolf....do it your way!

Best of luck

Well here goes. I been building rifles for myself and my buddies for about 30+ years.
I'm a P-Dog shooter! I've had custom Shilen, Hart, Douglas, Lilja and Pac-Nor to name a few.
But todays world lead time is a big factor, ba ba ba! So the best thing out there now is Nuts for barrels!
The DIY out there can learn something these days with barrel nuts. Pac-Nor makes for Rem., and Mauser now.
I seen them for M77 Ruger also, and there may be others out there! Savage did the best thing with barrel nuts
but nobody realized it to just the last few years! Times have changed!
Lost of great barrel makers out there all you have to do is pick one!!

Well here goes. I been building rifles for myself and my buddies for about 30+ years.
I'm a P-Dog shooter! I've had custom Shilen, Hart, Douglas, Lilja and Pac-Nor to name a few.
But todays world lead time is a big factor, ba ba ba! So the best thing out there now is Nuts for barrels!
The DIY out there can learn something these days with barrel nuts. Pac-Nor makes for Rem., and Mauser now.
I seen them for M77 Ruger also, and there may be others out there! Savage did the best thing with barrel nuts
but nobody realized it to just the last few years! Times have changed!
Lost of great barrel makers out there all you have to do is pick one!!
Amen. The barrel nut is the logical easy button for barrel install. I like being able to adjust the headspace with a turn here or there. Get a shouldered prefit and you are dead in the water if the tolerances aren't right.

My opinion based on barrels i have shot and wore out over the yrs
bartlien
proof
brux

if its a hunting gun and longer life isnt a factor due to less round count over the yrs , a button tube can save you a lil money

muller
criterion

if i ever build another hunter custom it will be a proof carbon awesome consistency and light weight for hiking