barrel question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Daniel Ludwig, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Daniel Ludwig

Daniel Ludwig Active Member

ok i have finally started aquiring parts to build my mauser action rifle, and since everyone said use a better barrel than the douglas i have been looking, and found i could get a Shilen blank in the contour and twist i want at a fair price. how does the Shilen match barrel compare to the Douglas XX Premium grade barrel? just so you know the rifle will be chambered in 30 '06AI, 26" #4 taper 10 twist.
    thanks,
    Daniel J. Ludwig

2. Daniel Ludwig

Daniel Ludwig Active Member

anyone have an opinion here?

3. Bill D.

Bill D. Active Member

Dan,
    Shilen's are good barrels. You have the start to a nice rifle. Kyle Brown has the 10 shot 1000 yard group world record. Shot with a 6BR in a Shilen barrel, so I guess they can be good. [​IMG]

Bill

[ 12-01-2004: Message edited by: Chuck Shooter ]

4. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

The Shilen barrel is better than the Douglas in what i have seen , but personaly I'd go with a Pac-nor if your wanting a cheaper barrel than say a Hart , Rock, or Kreiger.

The PAc-Nor will be cheaper than the Shilen and just as good of quality if not better in my oppinion and you can get a 3 groove barrel which will not foul as fast as the 8 groove Shilen
    Prices start at $180 for a standard match grade CM barrel and go up to $240 for a super match stainless barrel

5. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Dan,

If you get a Shilen barrel make sure it is a Shilen "Select Match" barrel and not a Match barrel. The standard match barrels have good bore finishes but are not top quality in consistancy. The Select Match barrels are the best barrels Shilen puts out.

I would say the Shilen Select Match and the Douglas "Air Gauged" Premium Barrels are basically equal in quality.

I would not class then with the Lilja, Kreiger or Hart barrels but they are quality barrels and the ones I have fitted and shot shoot well. They will generally shoot as well as the rifle is fitted.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)